The following disclaimer is for your reference only. When you register to become a Green Street Steward and adopt a Green Street facility, you will be asked to accept these terms and conditions.
Please be aware that maintaining a Green Street requires additional safety awareness not encountered in your own landscape or garden. Care should be taken at all times to make yourself safe and visible to vehicle and bicycle traffic. Please read and follow the full instructions in the Green Street Steward Maintenance Guide.
As a Green Street Steward, please be aware of the nature of the activities in maintaining and caring for Green Streets; read and follow the safety instructions below:
- Make yourself visible! Wear bright-colored clothing and / or a safety vest.
- Since Green Streets are next to the street, take extra caution and be aware of passing bicycles and vehicles.
- Wear sturdy shoes and thick gloves to help protect you from broken glass, sharp objects, environmental pollutants, and other obvious or concealed hazards.
- Conduct your activities during daylight hours, avoiding peak traffic times.
- Do not have children less than 10 years of age work with you; children 10-17 years of age must be accompanied by an adult volunteer. Keep in mind that adult supervision is critical when working within the street environment.
- Don’t leave your tools unattended - keep them out of the street and off the sidewalk so they don’t pose a hazard to pedestrians, cyclists and vehicle drivers.
I have read this disclaimer and the safety information in the Green Street Steward's Maintenance Guide and I understand the potential risks involved with maintaining a Green Street. I agree not to hold the City of Portland responsible for damages or injuries that may occur as a result of my participation in the Green Street stewards program and the activities I perform. I understand my participation is completely voluntary and I do not expect compensation of any kind for my participation.