Environmental Services is replacing sewer pipes that are in poor condition on SE Oak Street from SE 10th to SE 18th avenues and some adjacent streets (see map).
The city’s contractor uses a combination of open trench excavation and trenchless technology and there may be periods of inactivity between the steps. The work includes the following steps:
- Pavement cut at trench or shaft width
- Pavement and existing material removed
- Pipe installed
- Backfill with sand or gravel
- Excavate and replace sewer service laterals
- Decommission existing pipe
- Final paving and restoration
The contractor will dig trenches to the curb to install lateral pipes that connect individual properties to the sewer. There will be no loss of service to any properties during construction.
What to Expect During Construction
- There will be noise, vibration, dust, traffic congestion, temporary parking loss, lane reductions, street closures in the construction zone, and disruption to normal neighborhood activity.
- Work hours are 7:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. Monday through Friday. The contractor may schedule work during the same hours on Saturdays.
- Some streets will close to through traffic during work hours, but the contractor will maintain local access. You may experience delays getting to your home or business.
- Parking is prohibited in work zones during work hours.
- Sewer service and other utilities should not be interrupted during construction.
- A city construction inspector will be on-site during work hours. If you have an immediate need during construction, the on-site inspector may be able to assist you.
- Equipment and material will be secured on the street after work hours.
Over one-third of Portland’s 2,500 miles of sewer pipes are more than 80 years old. Projects to replace or repair aging sewers are important for protecting water quality, public health, and the environment.
For More Information
Contact Joe Annett at 503-823-2934. Enter “SE Oak Sewer Project” in the email subject line to receive future construction updates by email.
Please contact us if you have concerns such as maintaining driveway access, business operations, medical deliveries, etc.