Phone: 503-823-PLAY (7529)
1120 SW Fifth Ave., Suite 1302, Portland, OR 97204
Enhance the park's appearance, safety, and site furnishings, while emphasizing its historic character. Master Plan
Portland Parks & Recreation, Portland Development Commission (Interstate Corridor URA)
Design of park and streetscape improvements begins; public meeting to present design options
Design and Construction Documents Process
Building Permit Review Process
Construction Project Manager & Construction Contractor Procurement Processes
Fall 2013-Spring 2014
Park is reopened
The park was acquired in 1921 and named for Rev. John Dawson, an advocate for child welfare and civic improvements in the 1920s. The park has received many additions and alterations through the years. In 2007 a master plan for the park was developed through a public process. As part of the public involvement process, a priority matrix was developed to prioritize the list of desired improvements. In 2008, the gazebo and historic dome were restored with urban renewal funding to highlight the historic nature of the dome and to improve the flexibility of the gazebo's use as a performance space.
A 2010 Intergovernmental Agreement between the Portland Development Commission and Portland Parks & Recreation provides funding for the design phase of the improvement project, led by PP&R. A 2013 Intergovernmental Agreement between the Portland Development Commission and Portland Parks & Recreation provides funding for the construction phase of the project, led by PDC. The funding is from the Interstate Corridor Urban Renewal Area.