Event Bicycle Parking
Local temporary event bike parking providers in Portland:
- BikeRacker www.bikeracker.com (503.442.9991)
- Event Management firstname.lastname@example.org (503.643.9440)
- SHIFT Bike Rack Rental http://www.shift2bikes.org/wiki/shift-shop:rack-rental email@example.com
Providing attended or unattended temporary bicycle parking areas at events can improve event operations and attendance in many ways:
- Reduce motor vehicle trips and parking demand
- Reduce the number of bicycles locked to street poles, fences, and trees
- Reduce the number of bicycles being walked through crowded spaces, such as street fairs
- Raise the visibility and acceptance of bicycling for transportation
Temporary Event Bicycle Parking Planning Recommendations
The City of Portland recommends that event organizers reserve space for bike parking equal to a minimum of 2% of the total expected crowd attendance. Bike parking for 5% or greater is ideal.
An average length of 6 feet and a width of 1 3/4 feet should be reserved for parking a single bike. An average of 10 bicycles will fit in one car parking spot.
Bicycle parking should be visible from the main entrance to the event.
Temporary permits for the use of parking lanes
If you are unable to provide the bicycle parking within the event facility (building, private property, or permitted street closure or park area) it is possible to acquire a permit for the temporary use of the parking lane for the event bike parking.
More information about the temporary use of parking spaces, sidewalk or travel lanes can be found here.
Applications must be printed and then faxed (503.823.9282) or delivered to the Permit Center (1900 SW 4th Avenue, T- F, 8:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.). If faxing, please call the permit center at 503.823.7365 to confirm receipt of the fax and to complete the permit application process. Please do not send applications by mail. Once received, please allow THREE full business days before the permit is effective.
The fees for these permits vary depending on location and duration of permit. Please call the Permit Center (503.823.7365) to verify permit fees and processes.
Program Contact Information
City of Portland Bureau of Transportation
1120 SW 5th Avenue, Suite 800
Portland, OR 97204