The Public Works Administrative Appeals process, detailed on this page, is closed as of 2/17/2014 and is no longer available. Please use the Public Works Alternative Review process in its place.
- Public Works Administrative Appeals apply to the City requirements for improvements made to the public right of way as part of a Public Works Permit. This process is not to be used to appeal technical requirements that are part of a public works permit.
- Anyone who has received a decision from the Public Works Bureaus (Water, Transportation, and Environmental Services) as a result of a building permit review, a land use review, an early assistance appointment, or a public works inquiry may appeal the terms of the decision.
- The following actions are NOT subject to appeal: approval or denial of requests for design exceptions; previously established City standards and specifications; system development charge assessments; and matters subject to the authority of any other City appeal body, including land use appeals.
- If your project meets the intent, but not the letter of the code, you must have an alternative method of meeting the intent of the code approved by the appeals process. The appeal must demonstrate that the proposed alternative is equal to or better than what the code requires.
- Public Works Administrative Appeals are not land use review appeals or building code appeals.
A complete Public Works Permit Appeal Packet consists of:
- Public Works Administrative Appeal request form
- Supporting materials such as maps, drawings, plans, reports, and analyses
- $250.00 Appeal fee
The request form provides the primary information from which the Public Works Administrative Appeal Committee will make a decision. It is critical that information provided on this form be clear, concise, accurate and complete.
Supporting materials - 11”x17” maximum page size: Maps, drawings, and plans should provide sufficient information to detail the areas that are being appealed as well as any areas that may be affected by or that may affect the appeal. Reports, analyses, and other data should be included only if they will help to clarify the appeal and make it easier for the committee to understand the conditions being appealed or the reasons for the appeal.
The $250.00 appeal fee is due at the time the appeal request is submitted and must be paid before the request is accepted as complete. Payment may be made by check or before 3:00 p.m. in-person by cash or credit/debit card.
You may submit your Public Works Administrative Appeal Request by mail or in person. Mail or deliver to:
Public Works Administrative Appeals
1900 SW 4th Avenue, Suite 5000 (5th floor)
Portland, Oregon 97201
For questions regarding the appeal request submittal, please call 503-823-7884.
Appeals will be screened for completeness. Submittal of inaccurate or incomplete forms may cause a delay in hearing the appeal.
The Public Works Administrative Appeal process allows an appellant to submit an appeal to the Public Works Administrative Appeal Committee to consider the proposed alternatives and/or recommendations that are provided in the application by the appellant. First level Public Works Administrative Appeal applications that are submitted by 5pm on Friday will be heard the following Wednesday and a decision rendered at that time. An appeal may be deferred for hearing at a later date due to the number of appeals scheduled for hearing, the completion of preliminary reviews by the public works bureaus, the complexity of the appeal being submitted, or other unforeseen factors. An appeal fee of $250 is required for the first level of appeal.
Appellants seeking an additional appeal after receiving the first-level appeal decision may submit a second appeal to the Public Works Appeal Panel. The appellants (or a representative) will be required to present their case in person to the Public Works Appeal Panel, should they choose to take their appeal to that level. This panel may uphold the Public Works Administrative Appeal Committee’s decision or it may recommend a new decision be considered by forwarding a recommendation to the Public Works Appeals Board. An additional $250 appeal fee is required for the second level appeal. No additional fee is required for appeals sent to the Public Works Appeals Board.
Decisions are usually available the day following the appeal hearing by viewing Permits/Cases for the project site on www.portlandmaps.com or by calling 503-823-7884.