- Public Works Alternative Reviews apply to the City requirements for improvements made to the public right of way as part of a Public Works Permit. This process is not to be used to alter technical requirements that are part of a public works permit; see the design exception process instructions and form.
- Anyone who has received a decision from the Public Works Bureaus (Water, Transportation, and Environmental Services) as a result of a building permit review (CO, DR, MI, RS, SD), a land use review (LU), an early assistance review (EA), a public registry review (PR), or a public works inquiry (WI) may request an alternative review. If the alternative review request is being filed against a building permit review (CO, DR, MI, RS, SD) and it has been identified that a public works permit will be required to construct improvements, then an early assistance review (EA) must also be completed before filing.
- A Public Works Alternative Review does not alter recorded land use decisions, or final plat requirements set by a recorded land use decision, and a new or amended land use review may be required to incorporate changes from an approved Public Works Alternative Review.
- The following actions are not subject to alternative review: approval or denial of requests for design exceptions; previously established City standards and specifications; system development charge assessments; and matters subject to the authority of any other City appeal body, including land use appeals and building code appeals.
The Public Works Alternative Review process allows an applicant to submit an alternative review request to the Public Works Alternative Review Committee to consider the proposed alternatives that are provided in the request by the applicant. Public Works Alternative Review requests that are submitted by 5pm on Wednesday will be reviewed the following Wednesday. A review may be deferred for hearing at a later date due to the number of reviews scheduled, the completion of preliminary reviews by the public works bureaus, the complexity of the request being submitted, or other unforeseen factors. An fee of $250 is required.
The review of a Public Works Alternative Review request will not always result in an immediate decision. The Public Works Alternative Review Committee may seek additional information from the applicant, provide advice to the applicant, seek additional information from other City Bureaus, or complete additional reviews before a final decision is made.
When a final decision has been made the applicant may choose to appeal that decision to the Public Works Appeal Panel.
A complete Public Works Alternative Review consists of:
- Public Works Alternative Review request form
- Supporting materials such as maps, drawings, plans, reports, and analyses
- $250.00 fee
The request form provides the primary information from which the Public Works Alternative Review Committee will make a decision. It is critical that information provided on this form be clear, concise, accurate and complete.
Supporting materials - 11”x17” maximum page size: Maps, drawings, and plans should provide sufficient information to detail the areas that are being reviewed as well as any areas that may be affected by or that may affect the review. Reports, analyses, and other data should be included only if they will help to clarify the request and make it easier for the committee to understand the conditions for which an alternative is being sought or the reasons for the request.
The $250.00 fee is due at the time the request is submitted and must be paid before the request is accepted as complete. Payment may be made by check or before 3:00 p.m. in-person by cash or credit/debit card.
You may submit your Public Works Administrative Alternative Review by mail or in person. Mail or deliver to:
Public Works Alternative Reviews
1900 SW 4th Avenue, Suite 5000
Portland, Oregon 97201
For questions regarding request submittal, please call 503-823-7884 or email email@example.com.
Requests will be screened for completeness. Submittal of inaccurate or incomplete forms may cause a delay in reviewing the request.
Decision are usually available the Friday or Monday following the review by viewing Permits/Cases for the project site on www.portlandmaps.com. The full decision will be emailed to the applicant.
The Public Works Alternative Review program can be contacted by telephone at 503-823-7884 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.