Development Services Center
The Bureau of Development Services' Development Services Center (DSC) is designed to provide you with the services and expertises you'll need to complete Portland's permitting processes.
Hours of Operations
- The DSC is open:
- Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday – 7:30 AM to 3:00 PM. Thursdays 7:30 AM – 12:00 PM.
- Please see listed Services (below) for service limitations within the hours of operation
- Within the hours of operation all services are offered:
- On a first come, first served basis
- We encourage visitors to arrive as early as possible within the service availability timeframes
As you arrive in the DSC, please check in at the front counter so we can assist you in accessing the services you require.
- Building Permit Application Review and Intake
- Service Timeframe
- The DSC doors open at 7:30 AM for permit set-up Monday through Friday.
- Full compliment of staff available Monday - Friday: Beginning at 8:00 AM and ending at 3:00 PM (Thursday ending at 12:00 PM)
If your intake or review is not completed by 3:00 PM, Monday through Friday (12:00 PM on Thursday), regardless of where you are in the process, you will be required to return another business day in order to continue the process.
- Land Use Review Intake
- Service Timeframe: Monday through Friday Beginning at 8:00 AM and ending at 3:00 PM (Thursday ending at 12:00 PM)
- Generally, intake of a complete Land Use Review application requires approx. 1 hour. Please plan your visit accordingly.
- New Single Family Construction Permit Set-up and Intake (including new construction of detached Accessory Dwelling Units)
- Service Timeframe: Monday through Friday between the hours of 8:00 AM to 2:00 PM (Thursday ending at 11:00 AM)
- Please see the NSFR intake packet information
- General Customer Questions and Inquiries
- Service Timeframe: Monday thru Friday – Beginning at 8:00 AM and ending at 3:00 PM (Thursday ending at 12:00 PM) a limited number of BDS staff is available to assist walk-in customers with general questions.
- These staff limitations apply to customers with general questions for Planning & Zoning, Life Safety Plan Review, Engineering and Site Development. Staff from BES, Forestry, PBOT and Water is also available.
- Trade Permits and Records Requests
- Service Timeframe: Monday thru Friday – Beginning at 8:00 AM and ending at 3:00 PM (Thursday ending at 12:00 PM).
- Simple Trade Permits may also be purchased online 24/7 and customers can immediately schedule inspections for the next business day. Go online to: http://www.portlandonline.com/bds/index.cfm?c=42781
- Records of permit history can be found online for work performed after the year 2000 at http://www.portlandmaps.com/maps/bds
- Urban Forestry Tree Permits
- Service Timeframe: Monday thru Friday – Beginning at 8:00 AM and ending at 3:00 PM (Thursday ending at 12:00 PM). More information on tree regulations and copies of applications are available at: www.portlandoregon.gov/trees
- Permitting Services (2nd Floor)
- Service Timeframe: Monday through Friday – Beginning at 8:00 AM and ending at 3:00 PM (Thursday ending at 12:00 PM).
Location & Parking
- The DSC is located in Portland at 1900 SW 4th Avenue on the First Floor
- We are located in the Portland State University area of SW Portland, just off of the I-405 freeway
- TriMet buses serving the area - Trip Planner
- Get driving directions to the DSC
- There is a parking garage located under the building, a parking lot for larger vehicles across SW 4th Avenue and on-street metered parking.
We have staff to answer your permit process, land use, research and code questions. Please call the appropriate number listed below and leave a voicemail. Messages are generally returned within two business days.
Planning and Zoning:
Plumbing, Electrical, Mechanical, Sign Permits:
Permit Status via voicemail: