A residential/commercial alteration permit is required to replace or increase the size of an on-site sewage disposal system.
- An application for alteration of an existing on-site sewage disposal system (alteration permit) requires a sanitation installation permit
- You must be both the owner and occupant of the house in order to do the work yourself. This work may not be done on a dwelling that is now or will be for sale, lease, rent or exchange in the near future
- For other residential or commercial properties, a licensed State of Oregon, Department of Environmental Quality (DEQ) installer has to do the installation
- If you have any questions, please call the Environmental Soils Section at (503) 823-6892
- Note there is also a Department of Environmental Quality (DEQ) surcharge is to be paid along with the fee
Along with the completed permit application, the following items are needed:
- Land Use Compatibility Statement from Multnomah County
- Scaled legible site plan showing all existing structures, existing and proposed repair septic system and private well (if applicable)
- Detailed floor plan
Plan review for an alteration permit usually takes 21 working days if the application is complete.
The Bureau of Development Services review groups that will review the alteration permit application are:
- Planning and Zoning
- Sanitarian Review
- Plumbing Review
- The approved permit will be mailed to the applicant. The permit must be posted on the job site.
- If the application is incomplete, you will be notified by Environmental Soils staff and asked to submit the necessary corrections
- After the corrections are received, your application will be reviewed again
- When you receive the permit, you may call to schedule an inspection at (503) 823-7000
- For more information, call Sanitation Inspections at (503) 823-6892