Skip to Main Content View Text-Only

Development Services

From Concept to Construction

Phone: 503-823-7300


1900 SW 4th Ave, Portland, OR 97201

More Contact Info


Where is the URM database?

If I am advised that my project could be approved over the counter, but I need to come back with more information, do I need to see the same engineer?

The Engineer of the Day will put notes regarding your meeting in the electronic project file.  That will enable another engineer to help you on a future visit.  However, if your project is especially unique, it may be beneficial to see the same engineer when you return with updated drawings.  Just ask your engineer what will benefit your project the most.  We will try to accommodate any special requests to help expedite your structural review process.  That's why we are here!

What does it mean when the engineer says we need to "take in" your project?

Typically we try to limit our over the counter review time to about 15 or 20 minutes. This allows us to see all of our structural customers with the least amount of wait time. If your project requires an in depth review, we ‘take it in' and assign it to a specific engineer. Once your project is taken in, you can check the status of your permit online at or request the status by fax at 503.823.7000. Please be ready with your IVR number. The City's turnaround goals for reviewing projects that have been taken in are:

Structural Engineering Group

Permit Type

Working Days to 1st Review

Working Days to Recheck

Residential Alterations



Commercial Alterations

< $200,000.00 and

does not include a seismic upgrade





Commercial Alterations

> $200,000.00 or

includes a seismic upgrade



RS Additions



CO Additions



RS New Construction



CO New Construction



Process Managed or projects in Major Projects Group

Determined in consultation with the applicant

Determined in consultation with the applicant

"Working Days to 1st Review" is defined as the number of business days following intake. Day 1 would be the next business day after intake. "Working Days to Recheck" is defined as the number of business days following the date that the bureau is notified that recheck comments have been received.

Why do I need to hire an engineer just to remodel?

Some projects involve adding or changing the existing structure.  You may need the services of a licensed engineer, architect, or designer to help you.  The engineer of the day can let you know what type of design professional may be needed to assist you.

Who is the "Engineer of the day"?

The Engineer of the Day is one of our helpful structural plan review engineers.  We are all licensed engineers in the state of Oregon.  We are available to assist customers in the DSC and walk-in customers on the 5th floor.

What can the "Engineer of the day" do for you and your project?

  • Review the structural aspects of your drawings and calculations for overall compliance with the current codes
  • Discuss how current codes are used to help make Portland buildings safer
  • Clearly explain any structural items that need a little work
  • Give you a printed list of any structural items we will need addressed prior to structural approval
  • Give structural approval for your project
  • Help you determine when you need to retain the services of a design professional