Contact: Ross Caron, Bureau of Development Services 503-823-4268
Over the last year, a number of City Bureaus have transitioned their websites over to the new Portland Refresh/portlandoregon.gov web layout. BDS is scheduled to go over to the new layout next Tuesday, October 8, 2013.
The new BDS website layout will maintain:
- Its overall layout and organization will remain the same with the exception of the main page which is gaining new functionality
- Access to the “Quick Links” section of the current website will remain accessible through a new Useful Links button under the “I want to…” section of our new home page
- All existing favorites and bookmarks
When you first visit the new BDS website layout, you may receive a pop-up window alerting you of the change. In addition, the top of the new layout will include a “BETA” symbol with an option to submit feedback.
Why are we doing this?
The Bureau of Technology Services (BTS) worked with bureau and community stakeholders to modernize the City’s website and make it more user-friendly approximately 4 years ago. The outcome of this process was the Portland Refresh Project. Its intention was to create an active, accessible, consistent City web site where people can easily find information and conduct e-government transactions like paying a bill, applying for a license or submitting a form.
Some of the new features specifically improve:
- Visual look and feel – updates the design to give the website a clean and modern look
- Navigation and page layout – increases consistency and improves formatting to help users find what they are looking for
- Search Engine Optimization – helps search engines find information
- Functionality on mobile devices – easier for users to read and interact on their phone
- ADA accessibility – helps users with assistive technologies read content
Thank you for your patience as we launch the new website.