- Building, electrical, mechanical or plumbing code appeal application(s)
Plans and any supplemental information
Building Code Appeal Application: The following three sections of the building code appeal application provide the primary information from which the Appeal Board will make a decision. It is critical that information provided in these sections be clear, concise, accurate and completely written. Each appeal submittal must be a comprehensive set of documents and stand on its own merit (without referring to plans or material submitted separately for building permits) and will be reviewed based on the specific conditions related to the project under consideration.
- Code provisions: This section asks first for the code section being appealed and then for the requirements of that code section. It is important to accurately specify the code section being appealed and what it requires.
- Proposed design: This section asks you to describe the actual alternate method and/or materials of construction that are proposed for use. It is important that the actual conditions you are asking to have approved be described. This is not the section where equivalency or rationale for use of the proposed design should occur.
- Reason for alternate: This is the section where you should describe how or why the proposed design provides an equivalent level of fire or life safety to what the code requires and the reason you are requesting the alternate.
- 1 & 2 Family Residential: $227 (up to and including four appeal items) $113 for each appeal item over four
- Other occupancies: $454 (up to and including four appeal items) $113 for each appeal item over four
- Separate appeals with fees must be submitted for each individual building. Contact the Appeal Board Secretary at (503) 823-7335 where there are multiple buildings with identical appeal items.
- Payment may be by cash, check or credit card. Checks should be payable to “Treasurer, City of Portland”.
- Appeal fees for online appeal submittals may also be paid with a pre-registered VISA or MasterCard. The pre-registration form must be completed, faxed per the instructions and approved prior to submitting the appeal.