- Administrative appeals are heard on Wednesdays at 9:00 am. and are closed to the public.
- The Administrative Appeal Board consists of BDS managers and senior staff assigned by the Director, and two representatives from the Fire Bureau.
- Decisions are reached by consensus following an analysis and discussion of the submitted materials. The decision is then recorded and posted on our website. A copy of the decision is emailed or mailed to the appellants.
If the appellant is not satisfied with the Administrative Board’s decision, new or revised information may be submitted for reconsideration, or a request may be made for a hearing with the Board of Appeals.
- To file a reconsideration, follow the same submittal process using the same appeals form. Be certain to indicate at the beginning of the appeal form that you are filing a reconsideration and include the initial assigned Appeal ID number.
- There is no additional fee for the first reconsideration of an Administrative Appeal Board decision.
Appellants not satisfied with the Administrative Board’s decision may request a hearing by the Board of Appeals empowered to hear the appeals for the specific code under consideration.
- The Board of Appeals is a volunteer board made up of qualified individuals from the private sector who have knowledge in the specific code area being appealed.
- These boards are referred to as the Building Code Board of Appeals (aka "Big Board"), the Electrical Code Board of Appeal, etc. depending on the code requirement being appealed.
- Hearings before the Board(s) of Appeals are set up on an as needed basis and usually take a minimum of two weeks to schedule. The appellant must be present at this hearing to discuss the appeal with the board.
- There is no additional fee for a hearing with the Board of Appeals.
- To request a hearing with the Board of Appeals, please call the Appeal Board Secretary at (503) 823-7335.