Skip to Main Content View Text-Only

Development Services

From Concept to Construction

Phone: 503-823-7300

TTY : 503-823-6868

1900 SW 4th Ave, Portland, OR 97201

Find your permit type

Brochure #2 - Do I need a permit for my project? Brochure #2 - Do I need a permit for my project? This brochure provides general information about the types of work that require a permit, and those that do not for a one or two family dwelling. As the owner of a one or two family dwelling, you can hire a licensed contractor to get the proper permits and complete work, or in most cases, you can obtain permits and do the work yourself.

Use the table below to find out if you need a permit, and the type of permit required.

  1. Based on the work proposed, select from one of the five categories listed below.
  2. Locate the work in the first column and if a permit is required from the second column.

Note: Often, a proposed project will include work from several categories. If this is the case for your scope of work, be sure to check the requirements for each category. More information on permits.

4. Plumbing, Mechanical and Electrical work

Add a bathroom in a house Building Permit (RS), Residential Plumbing and Residential Electrical
Replace plumbing fixtures in same location Plumbing Permit (PT)
Replace water lines Plumbing Permit (PT)
Install Water Meter Water Meter installation is included in the Building Permit (RS). Call (503) 823-1526 when marked and ready for installation.
Replace a furnace Mechanical Permit (MT)
Decommission oil tank If residential property, call Environmental Soils staff at (503) 823-6820 for permit requirements.

If commercial property, call the Fire Marshal at (503) 823-3712 for permit requirements.

Contact Oregon Department of Environmental Quality (DEQ) or call (800) 452-4011.
Air conditioner Mechanical Permit (MT), Electrical Permit (ET)
Replace a service panel Electrical Permit (ET)
Add an outlet Electrical Permit (ET)
Air conditioner Electrical Permit (ET), Mechanical Permit (MT)