Skip to Main Content View Text-Only

Development Services

From Concept to Construction

Phone: 503-823-7300

TTY : 503-823-6868

1900 SW 4th Ave, Portland, OR 97201

Find your permit type

Brochure #2 - Do I need a permit for my project? Brochure #2 - Do I need a permit for my project? This brochure provides general information about the types of work that require a permit, and those that do not for a one or two family dwelling. As the owner of a one or two family dwelling, you can hire a licensed contractor to get the proper permits and complete work, or in most cases, you can obtain permits and do the work yourself.

Use the table below to find out if you need a permit, and the type of permit required.

  1. Based on the work proposed, select from one of the five categories listed below.
  2. Locate the work in the first column and if a permit is required from the second column.

Note: Often, a proposed project will include work from several categories. If this is the case for your scope of work, be sure to check the requirements for each category. More information on permits.

5. Miscellaneous Work or Permits

Work proposed Home Occupation - Type A Does not require a permit. Allows residents to use their home as place of work, but no customers or employees come to the site.
Work proposed Home Occupation - Type B Requires a Home Occupation Permit . Allows either one employee who does not live in the home or up to 8 customers per day to come to the dwelling.
Occupancy permit (change of occupancy) Building Permit (CO)
Sidewalk café seating Issued by Portland Department of Transportation (503) 823-7002 Option 5.
Banners hung from street poles Issued by Portland Department of Transportation (503) 823-5292.
Signs, A-Boards and Banners Sign Permit required for signs on private property and A-Boards.

Contact Portland Department of Transportation at (503) 823-7002 for Banners in Public Right of Way.
Flagpoles Building Permit (CO)
Tents Circus Tents require a Building Permit (CO) .

For other tents, call the Fire Marshal at (503) 823-3700 for permit information.

Visit Planning & Zoning staff at the Development Services Center or call (503) 823-7526 to determine if a Zoning Permit (ZP) is needed.
Parking permits Issued by Portland Department of Transportation (503) 823-7002.
Meter hoods Issued by Portland Department of Transportation (503) 823-7002.
Noise: Make noise beyond allowed standards Noise Permit is required if you intend to make noise above the allowed decibels and/or during non-construction hours/day. More information on allowed construction hours.
Any work in the public right of way Any work in the public right-of-way requires a permit or may be allowed by code if the conditions are met under the authority of PBOT. Contact Portland Bureau of Transportation (503) 823-5185

Heartbleed Security Notice

A serious security vulnerability known as "Heartbleed" was recently discovered in OpenSSL, a popular software library commonly used by many websites on the internet to encrypt communication between a user's computer and a web server. is NOT affected by this vulnerability as it does not use the OpenSSL software library. Please rest assured we are dedicated to protecting your security on this website.