The Bureau of Development Services (BDS) is launching a strategic planning process to culminate in a 5-Year Strategic Plan. This will be the bureau’s first comprehensive strategic planning process since 2003, and will set BDS’s strategic direction and goals for the next several years.
The primary impetus for the Strategic Plan is a desire to move the organization to the next level of performance by building on BDS’s recent successes, such as:
- Creating non-traditional programs and services targeted to specific customer needs, such as the Facility Permit Program, Major Projects Group, Get Legal, and the Field Issuance Remodel program.
- Living Smart – Providing creative solutions for infill development in residential neighborhoods.
- Expanding BDS’s outreach to Portland’s diverse community through participation in a wide variety of community and industry events.
- Creating a customer service culture through comprehensive customer service training for all staff.
- Using technology to meet customer needs through online permitting (for trade permits) and the mobile office project.
- Creating a comprehensive website to increase access and availability of bureau information and services.
- Building successful working relationships with a variety of stakeholders, including industry, government agencies, and community groups.