Starting in March 2009 the Process Management Section will be renamed devTeam Portland and the Process Managers will have a new working title - Development Liaisons.
The Process Management Team has been working, on a number of service improvements for our customers. We realized many customers, both internal and external, were not aware of the work we do and the kind of assistance we can provide to our customers. Realizing this we began developing some marketing tools to better provide development assistance to our customer base and reach a wider audience. We also created materials for a BDS "devTeam Portland" website to assist customers and provide information about our work. We're now ready to implement the improvements. We are acutely aware of how early assistance, clear communication and commitment to project schedule timelines can positively affect development. We're looking forward to implementing the DevTeam changes so that we will be able to provide these improved services to our customers, many of whom have been effected by the current downturn in the economy.
BDS Development Liaisons work to ensure clear, effective, ongoing communication between all the city reviewers and the developer's design and construction team throughout the design, plan review, permitting and construction process. We serve as an essential single point of contact between our customers and city staff. Liaisons assist customers in many ways including providing early building permit fee estimates and guidance about the permit process and submittal requirements, arranging early assistance meetings with customers and plan review staff, and monitoring the review process for continuity and timeliness.
Development Liaison services are currently provided free of charge with the exception of The Major Projects Group Program.
We work with customers whose projects fall into one of the following categories:
- Midsize - $1 to 8 Million - These projects may be either new construction or alterations to an existing building and may include the following: a City land use process or design review, seismic upgrades, transportation issues, stormwater disposal challenges, or a mixture of building types and uses. They may have complex site or design requirements.
- Common Greens and Shared Courtyard Projects - consisting of residential units oriented around a common open space area, or landscaped courtyard, providing an outdoor amenity for residents, landscaping, stormwater management, and often a common area shared by pedestrians and vehicles. The DevTeam is partnering with Development Services Process Managers to provide customer service to both Midsize and Common Green /Courtyard Projects.
- Large - $8 Million and larger - These include complex projects with numerous challenges similar to the mid-size category. Examples of large projects are high rises, condominium or office towers with mixed retail uses, medical facilities, industrial sites and projects with major infrastructure improvement components.
- Special Projects - These may be of any value and may be referred to us from Portland Development Commission, City Council, Development Services Center or other city staff.
- Major Projects Group Program - $40 Million or larger - The Major Projects Group program (MPG) is a fee-based program designed specifically for the largest and most complex projects. It includes expanded facilitation services and early, ongoing review of design documents. There is an application process for this program and it is limited to 5 customers per year. You can read more about Major Projects Group on the devTeam webpage.
Check out the BDS DevTeam website (http://www.portlandonline.com/bds/devteam) for more information about the types of projects we work on and the services we can provide our customers during the various phases of a development project. The webpage also includes our devTeam brochure, the Major Projects Group brochure and some helpful links to information our customers typically need along with our contact information.
The devTeam Development Liaisons are Mary Pat Gardner, Charles Auch, Anna Thorn, Kevin Kilduff and Jeff Gray (who is the devTeam's Tech II). Nora Mullane is the Section Manager. We'd be happy to talk with you about the work that we do and discuss how we may be able to assist you with your project. We look forward to working with you.