Skip to Main Content View Text-Only

Development Services

From Concept to Construction

Phone: 503-823-7300


1900 SW 4th Ave, Portland, OR 97201

More Contact Info

Subscribe to RSS feed

Most Recent

View More

Records Requests Fee Schedules and Processes


City of Portland, Bureau of Development Services

 Service Level Update: Records Requests Fee Schedules and Processes

(February 16, 2010). In order to ensure that all records requests made of the Bureau of Development Services (BDS) are processed consistently and that our costs for making the records available are reimbursed, a Records Requests Fee Schedule and Process Policy has been established.

Effective March 1, 2010, the following fee schedule and process will be applied to all requests for public records retained by BDS, including but not limited to all permit, inspection, land use and enforcement records. Oregon state law considers a public record to include “any writing that contains information relating to the conduct of the public’s business . . . used or retained by a public body regardless of the physical form or characteristics.” Oregon Revised Statutes § 192.410(4)(a) (2007). Some complainant and personnel records are protected by state law and are not subject to Public Records Requests.

The Bureau of Development Services maintains records in several different formats and sections of the Bureau. The fee schedules and processes are outlined for the different sections below. Following is a list of the three primary sections that maintain public records and a general list of the records that can be made available.

  1. Resource/Records Counter: The Resource/Records Counter maintains the following types of documents: microfiche copies of drawings for issued building permits; permit inspection cards for electrical, plumbing, mechanical, and building permits; Sign Permits, Certificates of Occupancy, Building, Mechanical, Plumbing, Electrical Code Appeal Decisions; Unincorporated Multnomah County Permits and Microfilm reels; Sanborn Maps; War Code and Chapter 13 files.

  2. Land Use Services Division: The Land Use Services Division maintains all records for land use review cases, pre-application cases and zoning confirmation letters.

  3. Enforcement Program: The enforcement programs maintain records for Housing, Nuisance, Zoning, Noise, Dangerous Buildings, Work without Permit, Signs and Home Occupation Permits.

Active Permits and Cases: Records for permit or case types listed above that are in "active" status are generally available for review free of charge. Photocopy charges and copyright regulations do apply.

Low-Income Consideration: BDS will consider reducing or waiving fees associated with Public Records Requests on a case-by-case basis. You will need to submit your current federal tax returns, statement of benefits from a social service agency, or other documentation showing current income along with your records request. We understand that the information we are requesting may contain confidential information such as your Social Security number. Feel free to redact such information before providing us a copy.

If you have questions or concerns about this document or our Public Records Request process, please contact Ross Caron, BDS Manager and Public Information Officer, at (503) 823-4268 or


Add a Comment


Kathy LaFave

April 20, 2010 at 9:33 AM

Could someone from your office please give me a call? We received a faxed copy of your Records Request Form and I can't read anything on it. I have been trying to find the form on-line and can't seem to get to the right place. Also, it looks like there are fees involved to get information on a permit we bought and I'm not sure how this will be billed. The information I need is in regards to a demolition permit that was purchased in September 2008 for 1323 NW 16th Avenue. Thank you.

Kathy LaFave
Anderson Environmental
(360) 577-9194


Dawn Fulps

April 27, 2010 at 1:29 PM

Can I find the name of the deed holder in late 1800's or 1900's on a house in Portland? Who do I contact? Thank you


Robin Healy

May 20, 2010 at 1:02 PM

I am a realtor in the Portland area and I have used a form in the past that was faxed to 503-823-7635 to request sewer information and just moved to a new office and don't have a copy of that form anymore. Can you help direct me to where to find that fax form?

Can you help?

Robin Healy

Please review our Code of Conduct rules before posting a comment to this site.
Report Abuse (Please include the specific topic and comment for the fastest response/resolution.)

Post a Comment
E-mail (visible to admins only)
 Remember Info Yes   No
Spam Prevention In the Pacific Northwest, what state is Portland in?