BDS submitted its fiscal year (FY) 2012-13 Requested Budget and 5-Year Financial Plan to the City’s Office of Management & Finance (OMF) on January 30, 2012. In early March, OMF published their recommendations regarding the bureau’s Requested Budget. The Mayor and City Council consider these recommendations as they make decisions regarding the overall City budget.
OMF recommended the following:
- Approval of BDS’s request to add 16.6 FTE supported by permit revenues.
- A 6% cut in ongoing General Fund support (the Mayor had asked BDS and other bureaus to provide proposals for 4%, 6%, and 8% cuts). This cut will impact local code enforcement programs such as Land Use, Neighborhood Inspections, Noise Control, and Signs.
- Approval of continued one-time General Fund support:
- 1.0 FTE for the Enhanced Rental Inspection Program (BDS had requested 2.0 FTE)
- 1.0 FTE for Neighborhood Inspections (BDS had requested 3.0 FTE)
- 1.0 FTE for the Extremely Distressed Properties Enforcement Program (as requested)
- Disapproval of BDS’s request for 1.0 FTE for the Citywide Tree Project
City Council reviewed the Requested Budget in a work session on Tuesday, April 3, 2012. Testimony in support of BDS’s budget requests was provided by Commissioner Dan Saltzman, BDS Director Paul Scarlett, Development Review Advisory Committee (DRAC) Chair Keith Skille, and BDS Labor Management Committee (LMC) Co-Chair Curt French. Since the work session, BDS has responded to over two dozen questions and requests for additional information raised by Council members and other work session participants.
The Mayor is currently reviewing all bureau budget requests and is scheduled to release his budget decisions soon. His decisions may or may not differ from the recommendations from OMF noted above. Upcoming steps for the FY 2012-13 budget process include:
- April 30th - Mayor Adams releases his Proposed Budget decisions
- May 17th – City Council holds public hearing on budget
- June 21st – Council adopts the final budget
- July 1st – FY 2012-13 budget goes into effect
You can find budget information, all of the bureau’s budget and financial plan documents, plus information about the BDS Budget Advisory Committee on the BDS website at http://www.portlandonline.com/bds/index.cfm?c=53730.
If you have questions about the BDS budget any of the budget documents, please contact BDS Administrative Services Manager Denise Kleim at (503) 823-7338.