Upcoming City Council Hearing:
City Council will continue to hear testimony on proposed amendments to Title 11, Trees, regarding tree preservation in development situations on Wednesday, March 30, 2016, 2:00 p.m. Time Certain, Council Chambers at City Hall, 1221 SW 4th Avenue.
Due to recent public concern about large trees being removed in development situations in Portland neighborhoods, amendments to Title 11, Trees, are proposed to strengthen regulations pertaining to tree preservation, especially preservation of large sized trees, in development situations. The proposed amendments aim to:
- Revise the mitigation requirement (payment into the Tree Planting and Preservation Fund) for trees removed to be based on the size of the tree removed. Currently, the same mitigation is required for all trees removed regardless of size.
- Add a notification requirement when trees of a certain size are removed.
On March 3, 2016 City Council heard a proposal for amendments known as the Fritz/Saltzman proposal. On that date, that proposal was passed to second reading with the following amendments:
- Require inch-per-inch mitigation payment for removal of non-exempt trees beginning at 36” diameter trees and larger (instead of 50” and larger).
- Require a notification period of 45 days prior to permit issuance (instead of 30 days).
At the March 16, 2016 City Council second reading, a third amendment was introduced. That amendment is described as follows:
- Exempt certain affordable housing projects, as defined by the Portland Housing Bureau, from mitigation payment for removal of non-exempt trees 36” or larger.
View proposed code language including the three amendments described above.
Testimony can be made in person at the hearing, or may be submitted in writing. Email written testimony to the Council Clerk at CCTestimony@portlandoregon.gov or send to 1221 SW Fourth Avenue, Room 130, Portland, Oregon 97204. Written testimony must be received by the time of the hearing and must include your name and address.
Questions may be directed to Emily Sandy at the Bureau of Development Services, Emily.Sandy@portlandoregon.gov, (503) 823-7828.