Greenway Review is required for many projects that occur within the Greenway overlay zones (“n”, “r”, “g”, “i”, and “q” overlays). The Greenway Review is required to address issues of public access, flood protection, transportation connections, and potential impacts to recreational users, wildlife, and water quality.
Chapter 33.440 of the Portland Zoning Code includes the majority of the City’s Greenway regulations. South Waterfront Greenway Review is required for some projects within greenway area.
Greenway Review Procedures
Greenway reviews are processed using the Type II procedure.
Greenway Goal Exception is required to locate a development or right-of-way that is not river-dependent or river-related within or riverward of the greenway setback. Greenway Goal Exceptions are processed through the Type III procedure, require a Pre-Application Conference, and must be approved by the City Council (see Statewide Planning Goal Exceptions).
- Application for Land Use Reviews - Complete this application form to apply.
- Early Assistance Application - A pre-application conference is required for all Type III Land Use Reviews. Optional Pre-application conferences are also available to discuss other projects.
- Greenway Review Submittal Checklist - Use this checklist to prepare Greenway Review applications.
- Waiver within 120 days - Sign this form within 21 days of application date to allow submittal of new information if a Type III decision is appealed.
- Chapter 33.440 - Greenway Overlay Zones
- Willamette Greenway Plan
- Lower Willamette River Wildlife Habitat Inventory
- Summary of Procedure Types - Summarizes all procedure types.
- Type II Procedure - Outline of timeline for Type II Procedures.
- Type III Procedure - Outline of timeline for Type III Procedures.
- 33.510, Central City Plan District
- 33.850, Statewide Planning Goal Exceptions
- 33.851, South Waterfront Greenway Review
- 33.272, Public Recreational Trails
- Portland Plant List - Extensive list of native plants and the various Portland plant communities.
- Comprehensive Plan Goals and Policies - Address the Comprehensive Plan Goals and Policies as part of your Greenway Goal Exception Review.
- Fee Schedule for Land Use Reviews - A list of all land use fees.
- Fee Schedule for Land Use Reviews in Unincorporated Multnomah County