Skip to Main Content View Text-Only

Development Services

From Concept to Construction

Phone: 503-823-7300

TTY : 503-823-6868

1900 SW 4th Ave, Portland, OR 97201

Find your permit type

Brochure #2 - Do I need a permit for my project? Brochure #2 - Do I need a permit for my project? This brochure provides general information about the types of work that require a permit, and those that do not for a one or two family dwelling. As the owner of a one or two family dwelling, you can hire a licensed contractor to get the proper permits and complete work, or in most cases, you can obtain permits and do the work yourself.

Use the table below to find out if you need a permit, and the type of permit required.

  1. Based on the work proposed, select from one of the five categories listed below.
  2. Locate the work in the first column and if a permit is required from the second column.

Note: Often, a proposed project will include work from several categories. If this is the case for your scope of work, be sure to check the requirements for each category. More information on permits.

3. Commercial Construction (including multifamily buildings) Sites

New construction:  
Construct new commercial building Building Permit (CO)
Construct new multifamily building Building Permit (CO)
Alterations to existing structures:  
Demolish a structure Building Permit (CO)
Construct an addition Building Permit (CO)
Asbestos abatement Contact Oregon Department of Environmental Quality (DEQ) or call (800) 452-4011.
Cell phone antenna Building Permit (CO)
Contact Land Use Review staff at (503) 823-7310 to see if Land Use Review is required.
Day care center Building Permit (CO)
Contact Land Use Review staff at (503) 823-7310 to see if Land Use Review is required.
Disabled access upgrades Building Permit (CO)
Install racks/storage shelving Building Permit (CO)
Install siding Building Permit (CO)
Tenant improvements Building Permit (CO)
Seismic upgrade Building Permit (CO)
Move or construct walls, even if non-bearing partitions Building Permit (CO)
Change the Use or Occupancy in an Existing Building. Building Permit (CO)
Replace or add new windows or doors Building Permit (CO)


Heartbleed Security Notice

A serious security vulnerability known as "Heartbleed" was recently discovered in OpenSSL, a popular software library commonly used by many websites on the internet to encrypt communication between a user's computer and a web server. is NOT affected by this vulnerability as it does not use the OpenSSL software library. Please rest assured we are dedicated to protecting your security on this website.