Skip to Main Content View Text-Only

Development Services

From Concept to Construction

Phone: 503-823-7300


1900 SW 4th Ave, Portland, OR 97201

More Contact Info

Subscribe to RSS feed

Most Recent

View More

DSC Hours & Reserved Times to Submit New Single Family Residence Applications


City of Portland, Bureau of Development Services

Service Level Update Document:

Development Services Center Hours &

Reserved Times to Submit New Single Family Residence Applications

October 20, 2010. To reduce DSC wait times and streamline the permit intake processes for all customers visiting the Development Services Center (DSC) the following changes listed below will be implemented. The DSC is located at 1900 SW 4th Ave and is open Tuesday through Friday, 8:00 A.M. to 3:00 P.M., with the exception of the first bullet, below.

Effective November 2, 2010:

  • The Pilot Project started on September 21, 2010 to explore the benefits of opening the DSC doors at 7:30 A.M. for the set-up only of building, site development, and zoning permits will be made permanent. Customers are able to access all other DSC services beginning at 8:00 A.M., including the cashier, trade permits, resource records, land use review submittals, plan review and intake of permit applications.
  • New Single Family Residence (NSFR) Permit set-ups will only be conducted Tuesdays and Thursdays between 1:00 P.M. and 3:00 P.M. Complete applications will be screened and permits set up for those applications to construct new 1 and 2 Family Dwellings, new construction of Accessory Dwelling Units, and manufactured homes on individual lots. Appointments for initial plans review with Life Safety and Planning will continue to be scheduled at the time of permit intake.

No change is proposed to the following services provided in the DSC:

  • Set up and review of all permit applications other than New 1 & 2 Family Dwellings, will still occur between 7:30 A.M. to 12:00 P.M.
  • General inquiries are the only service provided by the Life Safety and Planning and Zoning reviewers between 12:00 P.M. to 3:00 P.M.
  • Trade, Sign and A-Board permits and Records Request remain available at the Trade Permit / Resource Records Counter between 8:00 A.M. and 3:00 P.M.
  • Services provided by BDS Interagency partners co-located in the DSC will continue to be provided between 8:00 A.M. and 3:00 P.M. (Portland Bureau of Transportation, Bureau of Environmental Services, and Water Bureau).

We understand that these changes may have impacts on our customers and appreciate your patience and cooperation while we explore and find improved ways to deliver our services. If you have questions or concerns about this change or other Service Level Updates, please contact Ross Caron at (503) 823-4268 or

To obtain detailed information on the major changes that have occurred at BDS over the past year please visit the BDS Website at and click on "Service Level Updates."



Add a Comment


Bob McCurdy

February 3, 2011 at 12:02 PM

I have a customer that wants to replace an existing deck, plus add 2 new exterior entry structures. Do I need to make an appointment for a preliminary plan review? Or just roll in there between 8:00 am and Noon during business days? What paper work should I have completed before the preliminary review?

Bob McCurdy


Chris Berrie

April 7, 2011 at 7:52 AM

You used to hold an open house on evenings for private citizens to attend with residential home building questions.

In looking at your website, it appears that is no longer an option. Can appointments be made, or is all business on a drop in only basis? Makes it difficult for folks who work 7:30 - 4:30 M-F to be able to get in.

Also I wonder if you could direct me to the appropriate person/department to inquire about a vacated access on my property. The site map I have indicates that the access on SW Tower way, section 9600, which crossed parcels 9500, 9700, 9800 (mine)and SW Pendleton St was vacated on 9/23/71. A new neighbor on parcel 9700 says he was told by the City that he has right of way on that access. I believe he does not and would like to provide him documentary evidence.

Please let me know who I should be contacting or whether I need to provide more information.

You may also contact me at 503-704-0271 and leave messages if I don't answer.


Rob Ross

April 16, 2012 at 7:50 PM

I need to submit a final plat application, can I come in anytime during your regular hours or are there specific times designated for this type of application. Thanks.


Mike York

December 30, 2013 at 4:01 AM

I was recently in DSC and I have to admit that I had to wait a little to settle my case. I think it's worth it to extend opening hours.

Please review our Code of Conduct rules before posting a comment to this site.
Report Abuse (Please include the specific topic and comment for the fastest response/resolution.)

Post a Comment
E-mail (visible to admins only)
 Remember Info Yes   No
Spam Prevention In the Pacific Northwest, what state is Portland in?