Development Services Center
The Bureau of Development Services' Development Services Center (DSC) is designed to provide you with the services and expertises you'll need to complete Portland's permitting processes.
Hours of Operations
- The DSC is open:
- Tuesday thru Friday – 8:00 AM to 3:00 PM. CLOSED Mondays.
- Please see listed Services (below) for service limitations within the hours of operation
- Within the hours of operation all services are offered:
- On a first come, first served basis
- We encourage visitors to arrive as early as possible within the service availability timeframes
- Please note that generally Tuesdays are the busiest day of the week
- Building Permit Application Review and Intake
- Service Timeframe
- Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday: Beginning at 8:00 AM and ending at 3:00 PM
- Friday: Beginning at 8:00 AM and ending at 12 Noon
If your intake or review is not completed by 3:00 PM, Tuesday through Thrusday or by 12:00 PM on Friday, regardless of where you are in the process, you will be required to return another business day in order to continue the process.
- The DSC doors open at 7:30 AM for permit set-up.
- Land Use Review Intake
- Service Timeframe: Tuesday through Friday Beginning at 8:00 AM and ending at 3:00 PM.
- Generally, intake of a complete Land Use Review application requires approx. 1 hour. Please plan your visit accordingly.
- New Single Family Construction Permit Set-up and Intake (including new construction of detached ADUs)
- General Customer Questions and Inquiries
- Service Timeframe: Tuesday thru Thursday – Beginning at 8:00 AM and ending at 3:00 PM a limited number of BDS staff are available to assist walk-in customers with general questions.
- These staff limitations apply to customers with general questions for Planning & Zoning, Life Safety Plan Review, Engineering and Site Development. Staff from BES, PBOT and Water is available from 8:00 AM to 3:00 PM
- Trade Permits and Records Requests
Location & Parking
- The DSC is located in Portland at 1900 SW 4th Avenue on the First Floor
- We are located in the Portland State University area of SW Portland, just off of the I-405 freeway
- TriMet buses serving the area - Trip Planner
- Get driving directions to the DSC
- There is a parking garage located under the building, a parking lot for larger vehicles across SW 4th Avenue and on-street metered parking.
We have staff to answer your permit process, land use, research and code questions. Please call the appropriate number listed below and leave a voicemail. Messages are generally returned within two business days.
Planning and Zoning:
Plumbing, Electrical, Mechanical, Sign Permits:
Permit Status via voicemail: