Commercial Electrical Permits
For commercial projects, a separate permit is needed for all electrical projects.
If you are operating your business in a commercial structure or at a commercial use site, only a licensed contractor may purchase permits and perform electrical work - even for the smallest project.
Hiring a contractor
All contractors working in the state of Oregon must be licensed by Oregon’s Construction Contractors Board (CCB). The CCB requires licensed contractors to provide their license number on all of their company materials. The CCB maintains records on licensed contractors and about any claims filed against them. Contact the CCB at (503) 378-4621 or get help with a contractor query at www.ccb.state.or.us
Project and Fees
You will be asked to describe the scope of work proposed and to provide a detailed list of all electrical work you will be doing. If you have questions, please call Commercial Electrical at (503) 823-7304.
The fees for your electrical permit are based on the scope of work you are doing. The individual fees are listed on the Electrical permit application
Electrical permits not requiring plan review are generally issued the same, or the following day after receipt of the application. A copy of the issued permit will be mailed to you.
If your project falls into one of the following situations, you will need to submit plans for plan review.
- Six or more units in the same structure
- Three or more stories in height
- Special occupancies in chapter five of the national electrical code
- High voltage or high ground fault current
- Large services or feeders
- 400 amperes or more for feeders in other than one and two family dwellings
If plan review is required, additional information is needed. Submit three sets of electrical plans:
- Drawn to scale
- Containing definitions for legends used
- Be of sufficient clarity to indicate the location
- Nature and extent of the work proposed
- Show in detail that it will conform to the applicable electrical code requirements, laws, ordinances, rules and regulations
Electrical permits requiring plan review will generally be issued within ten working days. Plans are reviewed by the Commercial Electrical section of the Bureau of Development Services. If you have questions or are not sure if your project requires review, please call Commercial Electrical Inspections at (503) 823-7304.
The Electrical Master Permit (Industrial Plant) Program was created to promote electrical safety and to implement a more efficient procedure for handling repair, alteration or replacement of electrical products in qualified facilities. For more information call Commercial Electrical at (503) 823-7304.