How to Apply for a Refund: If you've purchased a permit in error, or find you've purchased a duplicate permit, you'll need to apply for a refund. We have a refund form online. You can find it in the Bureau of Development Services website at www.portlandoregon.gov/bds/index.cfm?c=45051&a=183062.
You will need to print the Refund Request Form and fill it out. Then mail or fax it to BDS:
Mail the request to:
Bureau of Development Services
Attn: Permit Refund Request
1900 SW Fourth Avenue Suite 5000
Portland, Oregon 97201
Or fax a copy of the completed Refund Request Form to 503-823-4172.
Per Title 24.10.102 Building Permit and Plan Check/Process Fee:
- Requests for refunds must be made within 6 months of payment or permit issuance, whichever is later.
- Refunds may only be issued to the party who paid the fees, according to the payor information on record at BDS.
- Permit refunds for online permits are paid by check.
How Much is Refunded? As a general rule, if permit or plan review fees are paid by customers due to an error on the part of the City of Portland, these fees will be fully refunded at 100%. However, the following applies to all permits purchased in error by customers, where the City was not at fault in accepting payment.
Refunds of up to 80% may be issued:
- If the City services covered by the customer fees (reviews or inspections) HAVE NOT yet begun or have not been performed at the time a Refund Request is received by the City
NO Refunds will be issued:
- If the City services covered by the customer fees (reviews or inspections) HAVE begun or have been performed at the time a Refund Request is received by the City
- If a residential mechanical permit is purchased, where the project is deemed commercial
Contact Us For Help With an Online Permit:
Remember, if you need help, or to report any customer issues connecting to BDS Permits Online or the Payment Gateway, please call us:
Permits Online Help Line at 503-823-7420.
We answer this phone between 8:00 and 4:00 Monday – Friday.
You can also send an email to us at: BDSPermitsOnline@portlandoregon.gov
We're happy to help with any license entries or changes, trouble locating an address, logon problems, account changes, email issues, or any other feature of Permits Online.