Service Level Update: Records Requests Fee Schedules and Processes
(February 16, 2010). In order to ensure that all records requests made of the Bureau of Development Services (BDS) are processed consistently and that our costs for making the records available are reimbursed, a Records Requests Fee Schedule and Process Policy has been established.
Effective March 1, 2010, the following fee schedule and process will be applied to all requests for public records retained by BDS, including but not limited to all permit, inspection, land use and enforcement records. Oregon state law considers a public record to include “any writing that contains information relating to the conduct of the public’s business . . . used or retained by a public body regardless of the physical form or characteristics.” Oregon Revised Statutes § 192.410(4)(a) (2007). Some complainant and personnel records are protected by state law and are not subject to Public Records Requests.
The Bureau of Development Services maintains records in several different formats and sections of the Bureau. The fee schedules and processes are outlined for the different sections below. Following is a list of the three primary sections that maintain public records and a general list of the records that can be made available.
- Resource/Records Counter: The Resource/Records Counter maintains the following types of documents: microfiche copies of drawings for issued building permits; permit inspection cards for electrical, plumbing, mechanical, and building permits; Sign Permits, Certificates of Occupancy, Building, Mechanical, Plumbing, Electrical Code Appeal Decisions; Unincorporated Multnomah County Permits and Microfilm reels; Sanborn Maps; War Code and Chapter 13 files.
- Land Use Services Division: The Land Use Services Division maintains all records for land use review cases, pre-application cases and zoning confirmation letters.
- Enforcement Program: The enforcement programs maintain records for Housing, Nuisance, Zoning, Noise, Dangerous Buildings, Work without Permit, Signs and Home Occupation Permits.
Active Permits and Cases: Records for permit or case types listed above that are in "active" status are generally available for review free of charge. Photocopy charges and copyright regulations do apply.
Low-Income Consideration: BDS will consider reducing or waiving fees associated with Public Records Requests on a case-by-case basis. You will need to submit your current federal tax returns, statement of benefits from a social service agency, or other documentation showing current income along with your records request. We understand that the information we are requesting may contain confidential information such as your Social Security number. Feel free to redact such information before providing us a copy.
- Resources Records Counter Records Request Fee Schedule and Process Sheet
- Land Use Services Division Records Request Fee Schedule and Process Sheet
- BDS Enforcement Program Records Request Fee Schedule and Process Sheet
- Complete Records Requests Fee Schedules and Processes
If you have questions or concerns about this document or our Public Records Request process, please contact Ross Caron, BDS Manager and Public Information Officer, at (503) 823-4268 or firstname.lastname@example.org.