Skip to Main Content View Text-Only

Development Services

From Concept to Construction

Phone: 503-823-7300


1900 SW 4th Ave, Portland, OR 97201

More Contact Info

Subscribe to RSS feed

Most Recent

View More

Erosion Concerns Signage Posting Operational Changes


City of Portland, Bureau of Development Services

 Service Level Update: Erosion Concerns Signage Posting Operational Changes

In order to maintain the highest possible service level with limited resources, the Bureau of Development Services (BDS) is making operational changes to how the signage posting requirements outlined in Title 10, The City’s Erosion and Sediment Control Regulations, are being implemented.

Effective June 1, 2010, Building and Site Development Permits on private property with ground disturbing activities requiring erosion control plans will have a new Erosion Concerns Signage Posting (sign) sheet attached to the issued plan set. If necessary, you can also download and print a PDF copy of the sign from the BDS website at:

Prior to ground disturbing activity taking place AND the required Pre-Construction Erosion Control Inspection (IVR #200) being performed, the responsible party is required to:

  1. Have the sign laminated, or otherwise ensure that the sign is weather resistant for the duration of the project, and
  2. Post the sign on site in a location that is clearly visible from the public right-of-way.

Title 10 defines the responsible party as the “property owner or person authorized to act on the owner’s behalf”.

These operational changes do not preclude re-use of the laminated cardboard Erosion Concerns Signs that in the past were provided by inspection staff as part of the Pre-Construction Erosion Control Inspections. There are a limited number of the remaining laminated cardboard Erosion Control Signs available for sale in the Development Services Center for $5.

Title 10, The City’s Erosion and Sediment Control Regulations, provide requirements for development and construction related activities in order to control the creation of sediment and to prevent the occurrence of erosion at the source during construction and development. The signage posting requirements outlined in this document provide adequate public notification of the Bureau’s Erosion Control Complaint Hotline, as required by Title 10. You can view Title 10 on-line at:

We appreciate your understanding and compliance with these requirements.

Please contact Ross Caron, Manager/PIO, with questions at or (503) 823-4268.

«Print this article in PDF format» 


Add a Comment


David Wenger

December 18, 2010 at 3:57 PM

I recently submitted a complaint regarding 2 homes above my property . I would add that I am very concerned of continued erosion as the 4 surfaced drains pour into my backyard down a 30 degree embankment . My neighbor is also getting erosion in his yard . All this surface water and dirt have made their way onto sw 55th ave and to widsor ct . We need urgert assistance . My curtain drain can not handle this much water and is failing due to erosive silting . Please call 971=645-9553


David Paull

February 4, 2013 at 10:43 AM

My wife and I live beneath a steep hill on SW Corbett Avenue that has excessive water drainage through our property. A continuous rivulet of water washes down through our yard. The steep hillside experienced a landslide and caused neighbors' homes to be evacuated in 1996.

Please call my cellular phone at 503.929.1647.


Peter McMinn

April 4, 2013 at 10:34 AM

I have a very similar issue as posted by David Wenger above. The new owner is a contractor who will be listing the house very soon. He his putting in new drains for the downspouts that terminate into the eroding bank, which is only perpetuating the erosion.

I have communicated the problem to the owner, but he is unwilling to spend the money on the solution, which is to direct the lines to the street drain.

Because the house is under renovation and because the new owners will likely not deal with the problem, this issue needs to be dealt with ASAP.

Please reply via email or call 503-892-3928.

Please review our Code of Conduct rules before posting a comment to this site.
Report Abuse (Please include the specific topic and comment for the fastest response/resolution.)

Post a Comment
E-mail (visible to admins only)
 Remember Info Yes   No
Spam Prevention In the Pacific Northwest, what state is Portland in?