Public Records Access
The Bureau of Development Services (BDS) maintains a number of different types of development and property related public records. This webpage describes how you may access these records online or through the public record request process.
Some records, or portions of records, maintained by the BDS may be found online using the following links:
- Permit and Case History Search - Find active and historical building permit, trade permit, land use review and enforcement case information (from 2000 to present).
- Plumbing Records Search - Find the property's plumbing permit history.
- Appeal Records Search - Find most building, electrical, mechanical or plumbing code appeals heard prior to September, 2003.
- Appeal Records Search - Find building, electrical, mechanical or plumbing code appeals heard after September, 2003.
- Notices, Hearings, Decisions & Pre-application Conferences - Access land use notices, hearings, decisions and pre-application conference pdf documents.
- Metro Reports - BDS maintains weekly summary reports called Metro Reports. They provide summary information on all permit and land use review types.
For records information not accessible online, or if you want a complete copy of records we maintain, you may make requests in person, by email or via US Postal mail depending on the record type being requested. Submittal fees, material costs and staff time costs are applied to public records requests.
The Bureau of Development Services has three primary departments that maintain public records:
- Resource Records: The Resource Records Section maintains copies of plans for issued building, site development, and zoning permits; permit inspection cards; sign permits, and Certificates of Occupancy. Not all properties or buildings have information available.
- Land Use Services Division: The Land Use Services Division maintains all records of land use review, pre-application conference, and public registry files. To request a Zoning Confirmation Letter go to: http://www.portlandonline.com/bds/index.cfm?c=45494&a=92199.
- Enforcement Programs: The enforcement programs maintain records for Housing, Nuisance, Zoning, Dangerous Buildings, Work without Permit, Signs and Home Occupation Permits.
For all other record types not listed in the departments above, please fill out a Uniform Public Records Request Form and email it to email@example.com.
For more details, see the Service Level Update: Records Requests Fee Schedules and Processes.