Communication Control Box Improvement Project
Construction is nearly complete on an Environmental Services project to modify and install communication control boxes (CCBs). These electrical panels are located throughout Portland to collect flow rates and other information needed to maintain the sewer system (see diagram).
CCBs can detect problems in the sewer system and alert Environmental Services staff to take corrective actions. As the city upgrades sewer pipes, monitoring points may move and new monitoring points may be added. These improvements will help prevent combined sewer overflows to the Willamette River. Enhancing our system technology protects water quality and public health.
Developments of Note
- Construction will resume on NE Lombard and NE 13th Street. Work will be conducted off the road, next to the railroad. Our contractor may narrow the westbound lane to provide a safe work environment for the crews.
- Electricians will be on site intermittently to complete finishing work at the CCB located on SE 10th Street near SE Stark Street.
What to Expect During Construction
- Construction hours will be 7:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. Monday through Friday. The contractor may schedule work during the same hours on Saturdays.
- Construction creates noise, vibration and dust and disrupts normal neighborhood activity.
- Some equipment and materials may be stored on your street or nearby streets overnight.
- There will be periods of inactivity between construction phases.
- Construction will not interrupt public utilities.
- Safety is our priority. Please stay clear of all construction activities, and keep children and pets away from construction activities.
- The contractor will use open trench construction. You can find more information about sewer construction methods at www.portlandoregon.gov/bes/methods.
- An on-site city inspector may be able to assist you with immediate construction concerns. Inspectors typically wear a City of Portland safety vest and hard hat.
Let us know if you have concerns such as disability issues or medical deliveries. Please contact Ashley Tjaden at 503-823-5281.
Information about sewer construction methods