Spill Protection and Citizen ResponseRead More…
1120 SW 5th Avenue, Room 1000, Portland, OR 97204
6543 N Burlington Avenue
Portland, OR 97203
The City of Portland opened the 39-thousand square foot Water Pollution Control Laboratory in 1997, and the building is now a landmark in the St. Johns neighborhood. Its lines and colors complement the arches of the nearby St. Johns Bridge.
Lab staff and community groups use the building’s spacious, multipurpose conference rooms. The facility is a model for sustainable development. It conserves energy with self-dimming fluorescent lights, motion sensitive light switches, and windows that open. The swales, planters and water garden surrounding the building treat stormwater runoff from its roof and parking lot, and from 50 acres of nearby streets and neighborhoods.
Pedestrians can stroll past the Lab, and artist Don Merkt’s “Raindrop” sculpture, on a section of the Willamette Greenway Trail that connects the Lab grounds with neighboring Cathedral Park.
The Environmental Services Pollution Prevention Services Group works out of the Water Pollution Control Lab. The Pollution Prevention group: