- Scrape food scraps into the trash or compost bin.
- Or catch food scraps and other solids with a strainer in the sink drain, and empty the strainer into the trash or compost bin.
- Pour grease into steel cans, let it harden and throw in the trash.
- Stop using your garbage disposal or minimize its use.
- Wipe pots, pans and dishes with dry paper towels before rinsing or washing them, then throw paper towels in the garbage.
- Rinse dishes and pans with cold water before putting them in the dishwasher.
- Don't pour grease down sink drains or toilets.
- Don't use cloth towels or rags to scrape oil or grease off plates and utensils because grease will drain to the sewer when you wash the towels.
- Don't run water over dishes, pans, fryers or griddles to wash oil and grease down the drain.