Extra Strength Sewage Charges
Environmental Services assesses fees on commercial and industrial sewer users that discharge high strength wastewater to the city's sanitary sewer system. Extra strength fees are surcharges above base sewer fees for loadings to the sewer in excess of typical domestic sewage. The fees recover the additional costs of treating high strength wastewater that base sewer fees don't cover.
The city bills extra strength fees for biochemical oxygen demand (BOD) in excess of 300 mg/L, and for total suspended solids (TSS) in excess of 350 mg/L.
Chapter 17.36 of the Portland City Code authorizes extra strength sewer charges.
2015-2016 Extra Strength Charges
Industrial Extra-Strength Discharger
- Biochemical Oxygen Demand - $0.650 per pound (allowable concentration – 300 mg/liter)
- Suspended Solids - $0.804 per pound (allowable concentration – 350 mg/liter)
- Extra Strength Resample - $310.00 per composite sample
Please keep the following in mind as you review these requirements:
- (1 CCF = one hundred cubic feet = 748 gallons)
- BOD Rate ($/CCF) = (Avg. BOD – 300 mg/L) x (0.622 $/lb.) x (0.006243 conv. factor)
- TSS Rate ($/CCF) = (Avg. TSS – 350 mg/L) x (0.770 $/lb.) x (0.006243 conv. factor)