Environmental Services is upgrading the Ankeny Pump Station on the west bank of the Willamette River underneath the Burnside Bridge. The Ankeny Pump Station pumps sewage collected from the west side of the river to the Columbia Boulevard Wastewater Treatment Plant in north Portland.
The project includes:
- Replacing four sewage pump systems
- Upgrading instrumentation, controls and communication equipment
- Improving access and security systems
- Installing a new odor control system
- Upgrading the facility’s exterior appearance
The project also includes work at a discharge manhole at the end of the pressure sewer segment that runs from the Ankeny Pump Station, under the Willamette River, to the intersection of N Interstate Avenue and NE Lloyd Boulevard (see map). The project started in May 2012. There will be several construction phases over the next two years.
What to Expect During Construction
- The city’s contractor, Stellar J Corporation, is doing most of the work inside the pump station. Construction should have minimal impact to surrounding neighbors and businesses.
- Typical work hours are 7:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. Monday through Friday. The contractor may vary the workdays and hours to accommodate special events and community gatherings in Waterfront Park and Ankeny Plaza.
- During construction, portions of the waterfront trail directly in front of the pump station will close. Pedestrians and cyclists will detour around the construction zone to the west, through Ankeny Plaza (see map).
- Flaggers may be on-site to guide construction vehicles and assist trail users through the construction area. Pedestrians and cyclists should use caution when traveling near the construction site.
For More Information
Contact Joe Annett at 503-823-2934.