Environmental Services started construction in spring 2012 on a project to upgrade the Ankeny Pump Station and completed the project in early 2015. The pump station is on the west bank of the Willamette River underneath the Burnside Bridge. It pumps sewage collected from the west side of the Willamette through a pressure sewer under the river and into a tunnel that carries sewage to the Columbia Boulevard Wastewater Treatment Plant in north Portland.
The project included:
- Replacing four sewage pump systems
- Upgrading instrumentation, controls and communication equipment
- Improving access and security systems
- Installing a new odor control system
- Upgrading the facility’s exterior appearance
The project also included work at a discharge manhole at the end of the pressure sewer segment that runs from the pump station, under the Willamette River, to the intersection of N Interstate Avenue and NE Lloyd Boulevard.
Pump Station History
The City of Portland built the Ankeny Pump Station in 1929 as part of the construction of the seawall that protects downtown Portland from flooding. The original facility pumped sewage and stormwater directly into the Willamette River.
The city rebuilt the pump station in 1952 and connected it to pressure lines underneath the river that directed sewage to the new Columbia Boulevard Wastewater Treatment Plant, Portland’s first sewage treatment facility.
In May 2012, the city began a project to replace pumps, pipes, electrical systems, control panels and odor controls with modern equipment while preserving the building’s historic exterior.
In January 1996, flooding pushed the Willamette River to within inches of the top of the seawall and workers built a sandbag wall around the Ankeny Pump Station as it worked around the clock to keep downtown Portland from flooding. Without the pump station, the river would have backed up into basements throughout downtown Portland.
For More Information
Contact Joe Annett at 503-823-2934.