If you own a property with a nonconforming sewer connection, Portland City Code 17.33 requires you to abandon the nonconforming sewer connection within 180 days of receiving notice from the city that an individual and direct sanitary sewer connection is available to your property.
- Hire a plumber to scope your private residential sewer lateral and provide a DVD* copy of the scope to Environmental Services staff for evaluation.
- Hire a plumbing contractor to disconnect your private residential sewer line from the host line and connect your property directly to the public sewer line in the right-of-way. Private plumbing costs, typically average between $3,000 and $5,000.*
- You may be required to pay the city a branch charge in addition to your private plumbing costs.
- You or your contractor will also need to acquire a city plumbing permit.
* DVD copies cannot be returned.
*The City of Portland is not responsible for private plumbing costs. Financing may be available through customer service.