Environmental Services is repairing or replacing about 25,000 feet of public sewer pipes in the Sellwood-Moreland neighborhood that are between 80 and 100 years old and failing due to age. This project will help protect the public and the environment by reducing the possibility of costly breaks, leaks, blockages and sewage releases to homes, businesses and streets.
Developments of Note
- Trimet Bus 70 has returned to its standard route along SE 17th Avenue, since the majority of the construction along SE 17th Avenue is complete.
- Crews have begun repairing the mainline on SE Claybourne (which includes part of the intersection with Milwaukie). This work will continue throughout this week.
- On SE 21st between Claybourne and Bybee, crews will weld a long piece of pipe, between 6725 and Bybee. The pipe will need to be left in the street overnight before burying it underground the following day. That night, the pipe will be in the middle of the street, allowing residents to get in and out of their driveways and facilitating traffic flow in both directions, on either side of the pipe.
The anticipated construction schedule for the next three weeks is subject to change due to underground conditions, weather, subcontractor schedules and availability of materials. Specifically, street paving is conditional upon appropriate weather conditions.
- Sometime in the next three weeks, crews plan to pave SE 21st Avenue (between Claybourne and Bybee)
Week of June 29:
- SE Claybourne Street (between Milwaukie and 17th) – open trench construction to install concrete mainline
- SE 21st Avenue (between Claybourne and Bybee) – install manholes and connect branches to individual properties
- SE 11th Avenue (between Miller and Nehalem) – open trench construction to install mainline, manholes and branches to individual properties
Week of July 6:
- SE Claybourne Street (between Milwaukie and 17th) – install manhole and branches to connect individual properties
- SE 9th Avenue and Ochoco - replace manhole and install pipe
- SE Nehalem Street and 6th – install manhole
- SE 21st Avenue (between Claybourne and Bybee) – prepare for and conduct pipe bursting, install branches to individual properties
- SE 11th Avenue (between Miller and Lexington) – open trench construction to install mainline and replace manhole at Miller
Week of July 13:
- SE 9th Avenue and Ochoco - replace storm drain
- SE 20th Avenue (between Bybee and Knapp) – prepare for and conduct pipe bursting
- SE 11th Avenue (between Miller and Lexington) – open trench construction to install mainline, install branches to connect individual properties, and install manhole at Lexington
What to Expect During Construction
- Work hours are 7:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. Monday through Thursdays. The contractor may also work the same hours on Fridays and Saturdays.
- A city inspector is on-site during work hours and may be able to assist you with construction concerns. Inspectors typically wear a City of Portland safety vest and hard hat.
- As the contractor completes construction on each street, work crews apply a temporary patch. They will return later for permanent paving.
For More Information
To report concerns during night work, please call the on-site hotline at 503-823-1257. You may also call the Portland Noise Control Office at 503-823-7350. If you have other questions about the project, contact Amy Higgs at 503-975-7073. To receive regular email updates about this project, please send an email to Amy with “Sellwood-Moreland” in the subject line.