Environmental Services continues to repair or replace about 25,000 feet of public sewer pipes in the Sellwood-Moreland neighborhood that are between 80 and 100 years old and deteriorating due to age. This project will help protect the public and the environment by reducing the possibility of costly breaks, leaks, blockages and sewage releases to homes, businesses and streets.
Developments of Note
- Sewer work taking place in Sellwood Moreland will be interrupted for several months. Crews need to complete an important repair in Eastmoreland that requires coordination with the shutdown of a large water pipe, and this is the only window we have to complete this work. We will finish critical repairs in Sellwood-Moreland and clean up the streets next week, move to Eastmoreland, and return to finish the work in Sellwood-Moreland in mid to late January. During this time, there may or may not be any work taking place in Sellwood-Moreland, based on availability of crews.
- The intersection of SE 15th and Umatilla, right outside of Sellwood Middle School, will be closed all next week for sewer work. Bus parking and parent drop-off locations have changed to accommodate the work, and the block around the school may be more congested than usual.
- If you live north of Tacoma and your leaves were not picked up on November 15th due to sewer construction equipment in the street, you can call 503-865-LEAF to arrange for a reduced fee of $15, which will cover your next pick-up (on December 12) only.
- There will be no construction this Thursday or Friday, in observance of the Thanksgiving holiday.
The anticipated construction schedule for the next three weeks is subject to change due to underground conditions, weather, subcontractor schedules and availability of materials.
- SE Harney St. (between 13th and 15th) - Open trench construction of main sewer line, install new branches to individual properties
- SE 19th Ave. (between SE Tolman and Claybourne St.) – Finish repairing manholes at intersection of Tolman and in front of 6416 SE 19th
Week of November 30th:
- SE Harney St. (between 13th and 15th) - Open trench construction of main public sewer line, wrap up as much work as possible, to be resumed later
- SE 19th Ave. (between 6426 and SE Claybourne St.) – temporarily wrap up work, to be resumed later
December 5 until mid or late January
- No sewer work currently scheduled in the neighborhood; some work is possible pending availability of crews
For More Information
To report concerns during night work, please call the on-site hotline at 503-823-1257. You may also call the Portland Noise Control Office at 503-823-7350. If you have other questions about the project, contact Amy Higgs at 503-975-7073. To receive regular email updates about this project, please send an email to Amy with “Sellwood-Moreland” in the subject line.