November 2013 Construction Activities
WHAT WE'VE HEARD FROM YOU
During design and through construction we have heard concerns from businesses along SE Division Street about how construction might impact their holiday business. To address this concern, there will be a limited holiday construction moratorium in place for the Division Streetscape Project. This moratorium is part of the project construction contract. The moratorium will apply only to Division Streetscape Project work. Private construction may still continue.
Beginning at 6:00 p.m. on Friday, November 22 and running through Wednesday, January 1, travel lanes, parking lanes and sidewalks will be open on Division from 11th Avenue to 13th Avenue, from 19th Avenue to 22nd Avenue, and from 30th Avenue to Cesar Chavez Boulevard.
Construction will continue in other areas along SE Division and on side streets. The city and the project contractor will continue to work with local neighbors and businesses to maintain access to properties and keep areas clean and safe throughout the holiday season.
Below is the current estimated Division Streetscape construction schedule. Construction will move from one site to another as work on each segment is completed. Please be aware that this schedule is subject to change due to a variety of factors, including conditions underground, weather, traffic impacts, subcontractor schedules and availability of materials.
Week of November 4:
- Install lateral sewer connections and inlets from 28th Place to 32nd Avenue
- Pour curb, sidewalk and ADA ramps at 27th and Clinton
- Prep and pour curb, sidewalk and driveway on the north side of Division near 20th Avenue
- Excavate and pour green street facilities along north side of Division between 19th and 20th avenues
- Prep and pave intersection of 27th Avenue and Clinton (weather permitting)
Week of November 11:
- Connect to sewer manhole at Division and 35th Avenue, install new manhole and replace sewer main south on 35th Avenue
- Prep and pour curb, sidewalk, ADA ramps and green street facility at Tamarack and Division
- Prep and pave trench on 27th Avenue from Division to Clinton (weather permitting)
Other Work November/December:
- Install new sewer manhole at Division and 38th Avenue
- Install new public sewer line on 38th Avenue between Division and Clinton
As always, please follow the direction of flaggers and informational signs to ensure everyone’s safety.
The Portland Bureau of Transportation and the Bureau of Environmental Services are working together on the Division Streetscape Project to improve the sewer system, add new green stormwater management infrastructure, improve the streetscape and reconstruct streets on SE Division from SE 11th Avenue to SE Cesar Chavez Boulevard (see maps). Construction is scheduled to continue until September 2014.
The contractor is installing pipe, stormwater management facilities, curbs, sidewalks and paving in phases over the next year and a half. The contractor will use open trench excavation and pipe-bursting to install pipe. The project includes these tasks:
- Exploratory drilling
- Utility location
- Trimming and cutting down trees
- Saw cutting street surfaces
- Excavating trenches
- Setting shoring
- Installing new sewer pipe
- Backfill and temporary paving
- Concrete forming and pouring
- Permanent paving
- Planting trees and vegetation during planting season
There may be periods of inactivity between these steps.
Typical work hours will be 7:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. Monday through Friday, but the contractor can choose to work on Saturdays if necessary.
The Portland Noise Office has granted permission for 60 days of night and Sunday work on this project. Night work will be limited and notification, including contact numbers for noise issues, will go out to neighbors before night work begins. Work crews will use conventional excavation equipment including backhoes, front-end loaders, and dump trucks. Generators will power construction lights.
What to Expect During Construction
- There will be lane restrictions, road closures and 24 hour work scheduled at specific locations.
- Flaggers and detours will be in place to guide vehicles through and around traffic control. You may experience delays.
- On-street parking in or near the work area will be prohibited during work hours.
- You will have access to your property during work hours, but you may be delayed entering or leaving your street or driveway.
- Equipment and materials may be stored within the work area and on nearby streets overnight.
- You will have sewer service at all times, even when work is near your building.
- A city construction inspector will be on-site during work hours, and may be able to assist you with construction concerns. Inspectors typically wear a “City of Portland” safety vest and hard hat.
Let us know if you have concerns such as business operations, disability issues or medical or business deliveries.
Please be courteous, obey flagger instructions, and follow all directional signs to ensure the safety of all involved.
How to Get Project Updates
- Sign up for email updates by emailing Joe Annett with "Division" in the subject line.
- Call the project update line at 503‐823‐1997.
- Find printed updates in realtor boxes within active construction areas.