Division Streetscape Project Update: July 30, 2014
Environmental Services and the Portland Bureau of Transportation are working together to improve the Division Street transportation corridor, repair and replace older sewers, add green infrastructure to manage stormwater and make sewers work more efficiently, and improve watershed health.
Developments of Note
Grinding and Paving Starts the Week of August 18
(west bound traffic will run through Division, east bound traffic will be detoured)
34th Avenue – Cesar Chavez Boulevard – starts the week of August 1826th – 34th avenues – starts the week of September 1Grinding and paving will occur during regular work hours, 7:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m., Monday through Friday, but the contractor may schedule work during the same hours on Saturday.
Get more information for the Division Streetscape Project at www.portlandoregon.gov/bes/article/491779
For TriMet information line #4: http://trimet.org/alerts/index.htm
Here is the estimated Division Streetscape construction schedule for the next three weeks. Construction will move from one site to another as crews complete work on each segment. Please be aware that this schedule is subject to change due to conditions underground, weather, traffic impacts, subcontractor schedules and availability of materials.
- 32nd Avenue and Division, southeast corner – Prep curb, sidewalk and ramps, then form and pour
- 32nd Avenue and Division, southwest corner – Form and pour curb, sidewalk and ramps
- 31st Avenue and Division, southeast corner – Form and pour curb, sidewalks and ramp, and stormwater facility
- 30th Avenue and Division, southeast and southwest corners – Prep curb, sidewalk and ramps
- 29th Avenue and Division, southeast and southwest corners – Prep curb, sidewalk and ramps
- 28th Place – 33rd Avenue, south side of Division (east bound lanes) – Trench paving
Week of August 4:
- 35th Avenue and Division, southeast corner – Finish excavation of stormwater facility
- 32nd Avenue and Division, northeast corner – Finish excavation of stormwater facility
- 34th Avenue and Division – Excavate bus stop, then form and pour
- 30th Avenue and Division, southeast and southwest corners – From and pour curb, sidewalk and ramps
- 29th Avenue and Division, southeast and southwest corners – From and pour curb, sidewalk and ramps
- 28th Place and Division, southeast and southwest corners – Prep curb, sidewalk and ramps
Week of August 11:
- 35th Avenue and Division, southeast corner – Install liner in stormwater facility
- 32nd Avenue and Division, northeast corner – Install liner in stormwater facility
- 31st Avenue and Division, southeast corner – Finish excavating stormwater facility, then install liner
- 30th Avenue and Division, southwest corner – Finish excavating stormwater facility, then install liner
- 29th Avenue and Division, southwest corner – Finish excavating stormwater facility, then install liner
- 29th Avenue and Division, southeast corner – Finish excavating stormwater facility, then install liner
- 28th Place and Division, southeast and southwest corners – Form and pour curb, sidewalk and ramps
- 33rd – 38th avenues, south side of Division (east bound lanes) – Trench paving
For More Information
Go to www.portlandonline.com/transportation/divisionstreetscape to see background information and block-by-block maps of the design.
To receive email updates for this project, send an email to email@example.com with “Division” in the subject line.
Thank you for your cooperation during this project. Please let us know if you have concerns such as business operations, disability issues, or medical or business deliveries. As always, we’ll strive to provide quick response to your concerns, minimal disruption near your residence or business, and open and clear communication with you throughout the project.
Note: For information on the Clinton Green Street and Sewer Project please visit the web page at www.portlandoregon.gov/bes/Clinton
City of Portland Environmental Services
1120 SW 5th Avenue, Room 1000, Portland, OR 97204-3713
Tabor to the River Program
This project is part of the Tabor to the River Program, which combines innovative stormwater management techniques with sewer repairs and improvements to stop basement flooding, manage stormwater more naturally, and to restore watershed health. The program area extends from Mt. Tabor to the Willamette River between SE Hawthorne and SE Powell boulevards.
The Portland Bureau of Transportation and the Bureau of Environmental Services are working together on the Division Streetscape Project to improve the sewer system, add new green stormwater management infrastructure, improve the streetscape and reconstruct streets on SE Division from SE 11th Avenue to SE Cesar Chavez Boulevard (see maps). Construction is scheduled to continue until October 2014.
The contractor is installing pipe, stormwater management facilities, curbs, sidewalks and paving in phases over the next year and a half. The contractor will use open trench excavation and pipe-bursting to install pipe. The project includes these tasks:
- Exploratory drilling
- Utility location
- Trimming and cutting down trees
- Saw cutting street surfaces
- Excavating trenches
- Setting shoring
- Installing new sewer pipe
- Backfill and temporary paving
- Concrete forming and pouring
- Permanent paving
- Planting trees and vegetation during planting season
There may be periods of inactivity between these steps.
Typical work hours will be 7:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. Monday through Friday, but the contractor can choose to work on Saturdays if necessary.
The Portland Noise Office has granted permission for 60 days of night and Sunday work on this project. Night work will be limited and notification, including contact numbers for noise issues, will go out to neighbors before night work begins. Work crews will use conventional excavation equipment including backhoes, front-end loaders, and dump trucks. Generators will power construction lights.
WHAT TO EXPECT DURING CONSTRUCTION
- There will be lane restrictions, road closures and 24 hour work scheduled at specific locations.
- Flaggers and detours will be in place to guide vehicles through and around traffic control. You may experience delays.
- On-street parking in or near the work area will be prohibited during work hours.
- You will have access to your property during work hours, but you may be delayed entering or leaving your street or driveway.
- Equipment and materials may be stored within the work area and on nearby streets overnight.
- You will have sewer service at all times, even when work is near your building.
- A city construction inspector will be on-site during work hours, and may be able to assist you with construction concerns. Inspectors typically wear a “City of Portland” safety vest and hard hat.
- Let us know if you have concerns such as business operations, disability issues or medical or business deliveries.
Please be courteous, obey flagger instructions, and follow all directional signs to ensure the safety of all involved.
TO RECEIVE PROJECT UPDATES
- Sign up for email updates by emailing Joe Annett with "Division" in the subject line.
- Call the project update line at 503‐823‐1997.
- Find printed updates in realtor boxes within active construction areas.