Division Streetscape Project Update: February 26, 2014
Environmental Services and the Bureau of Transportation are working together to improve the Division Street transportation corridor, repair and replace older sewers, add green infrastructure to manage stormwater and make sewers work more efficiently, and improve watershed health.
WHAT WE’VE HEARD FROM YOU
You have been sharing your concerns about pedestrian crossings between 30th and 34th avenues related to the private development going on this area. The city will re-stripe the existing pedestrian crossings at the intersections at 30th and 31st avenues. The new striping will be more visible to drivers.
Environmental Services is working on another project that could affect the area. The Ivon-Madison project includes constructing two green street facilities at the corner of SE Division and 43rd. Construction is expected to start in mid-February. Go to www.portlandoregon.gov/bes/IvonMadison for more project information and to view maps and schedules.
Below is the estimated Division Streetscape construction schedule for the next three weeks. Construction will move from one site to another as crews complete work on each segment. Please be aware that this schedule is subject to change due to conditions underground, weather, traffic impacts, subcontractor schedules and availability of materials.
NOTE: Work is underway on Division at Ladd Avenue, and 20th and 21st avenues. This is a complex intersection used heavily by pedestrians, bicyclists and motor vehicles. Please be aware that this work will cause delays and follow all directional signs and obey flaggers. Access to all businesses will be maintained.
Week of February 24:
- Form and pour stormwater facility at SE 16th and Division
- Finish excavation for stormwater facility at SE 16th and Division
- Finish excavation for stormwater facility at SE 18th and Division
- Form and pour stormwater facility, curb, and driveway at SW corner of 19th and Division
- Excavate, form and pour stormwater facilities at SE corner of 19th and Division
- Prep curb, sidewalk and ramps at SE 20th and Division
- Form and pour SE corner of SE 20th and Division
Week of March 3:
- Topsoil, rock, liner and matting for stormwater facility at SE 16th and Division
- Topsoil, rock, liner and matting for stormwater facilities at SE 19th and Division
- Prep and pour concrete for curbs, sidewalks, ramps and stormwater facility at SE 21st and Division
- Finish excavation of stormwater facility at SE 21st and Division
Week of March 10:
- Install Pipe at SE 37th Avenue
- Install topsoil, rock, liner and matting for stormwater facilities at SE 19th and Division
- Finish excavation, install topsoil, rock, liner and matting for stormwater facility at SE 21st and Division
- Apply asphalt paving to cut gaps between new curbing and existing asphalt street surface around stormwater facilities
- Prep curb, sidewalk and ramps at south side of SE 11th and Division, and SE 13th and Division
As always, please follow the direction of flaggers and informational signs to ensure everyone’s safety.
FOR MORE INFORMATION
Go to www.portlandoregon.gov/transportation/DivisionStreetscape to see background information and block-by-block maps of the design. To receive email updates for this project, send an email to email@example.com with “Division” in the subject line.
Thank you for your cooperation during this project. Please let us know if you have concerns such as business operations, disability issues, or medical or business deliveries. As always, we’ll strive to provide quick response to your concerns, minimal disruption near your residence or business, and open and clear communication with you throughout the project.
City of Portland Environmental Services
1120 SW 5th Avenue, Room 1000
Portland, OR 97204-3713
Tabor to the River Program
This project is part of the Tabor to the River Program, which combines innovative stormwater management techniques with sewer repairs and improvements to stop basement flooding, manage stormwater more naturally, and to restore watershed health. The program area extends from Mt.Taborto the Willamette River between SE Hawthorne and SE Powell boulevards.
The Portland Bureau of Transportation and the Bureau of Environmental Services are working together on the Division Streetscape Project to improve the sewer system, add new green stormwater management infrastructure, improve the streetscape and reconstruct streets on SE Division from SE 11th Avenue to SE Cesar Chavez Boulevard (see maps). Construction is scheduled to continue until October 2014.
The contractor is installing pipe, stormwater management facilities, curbs, sidewalks and paving in phases over the next year and a half. The contractor will use open trench excavation and pipe-bursting to install pipe. The project includes these tasks:
- Exploratory drilling
- Utility location
- Trimming and cutting down trees
- Saw cutting street surfaces
- Excavating trenches
- Setting shoring
- Installing new sewer pipe
- Backfill and temporary paving
- Concrete forming and pouring
- Permanent paving
- Planting trees and vegetation during planting season
There may be periods of inactivity between these steps.
Typical work hours will be 7:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. Monday through Friday, but the contractor can choose to work on Saturdays if necessary.
The Portland Noise Office has granted permission for 60 days of night and Sunday work on this project. Night work will be limited and notification, including contact numbers for noise issues, will go out to neighbors before night work begins. Work crews will use conventional excavation equipment including backhoes, front-end loaders, and dump trucks. Generators will power construction lights.
What to Expect During Construction
- There will be lane restrictions, road closures and 24 hour work scheduled at specific locations.
- Flaggers and detours will be in place to guide vehicles through and around traffic control. You may experience delays.
- On-street parking in or near the work area will be prohibited during work hours.
- You will have access to your property during work hours, but you may be delayed entering or leaving your street or driveway.
- Equipment and materials may be stored within the work area and on nearby streets overnight.
- You will have sewer service at all times, even when work is near your building.
- A city construction inspector will be on-site during work hours, and may be able to assist you with construction concerns. Inspectors typically wear a “City of Portland” safety vest and hard hat.
- Let us know if you have concerns such as business operations, disability issues or medical or business deliveries.
Please be courteous, obey flagger instructions, and follow all directional signs to ensure the safety of all involved.
How to Get Project Updates
- Sign up for email updates by emailing Joe Annett with "Division" in the subject line.
- Call the project update line at 503‐823‐1997.
- Find printed updates in realtor boxes within active construction areas.