Construction is Underway
Environmental Services has started work on a stormwater management project on SW Stephenson Street between SW 35th Avenue and Boones Ferry Road and SW Hamilton Street between SW 40th and 47th avenues (see map below). This project will help protect water quality in Fanno and Tryon creeks. Construction is expected to continue for several months at both locations. The entire project is scheduled for completion in January 2016.
Construction at Stephenson Elementary
The city will construct two roadside swales and drainage ditch improvements in front of Stephenson Elementary School. Work hours will be 8:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. Monday through Friday. Work directly in front of the school is expected to last from two to four weeks.
During construction, we ask that you help ensure the safety of students and work crews and the efficient flow of traffic by observing these changes:
- Buses will continue to drop off and pick up students at the front of the school.
- The drop-off zone for all other students will move to SW 27th Avenue (see map below).
- One driving lane will be open and flaggers will guide traffic through the work area. Drivers should expect delays.
- The sidewalk in front of the school will be closed.
- Please be aware of your speed and aware of the traffic control signage.
The map below shows the temporary changes in student pick-up and drop-off areas, and in traffic around Stephenson School.
Thank you for your understanding and cooperation during this important project. Please contact Joe Annett at 503-823-2934 with questions or comments, or for more information.
Ditches on SW Stephenson carry stormwater runoff from the street directly to Tryon Creek and its tributaries. The fast-moving water causes erosion and carries pollutants washed off streets.
This project will plant swales with a combination of grasses and low-growing plants. The vegetation will help protect the channel from erosion and may help reduce stormwater pollutants. As part of the project, the Portland Bureau of Transportation will add four-foot wide, paved shoulders.
The Fanno-Tryon Watershed Management Plan identified these improvements as a way to improve drainage and pedestrian safety and protect water quality. Over one-third of the roads in the watershed are paved and have no curbs. Ditches border most of them.
Work crews will install plants in and around the new swales during the next planting season.
Construction Schedule and Traffic Controls
- Construction will continue on SW Stephenson at SW 35th Avenue and move east from that point.
- Traffic will be reduced to one lane and flagged around the work area.
- Our contractor will maintain access to homes and neighborhood streets.
- Each location will take a couple of weeks to complete.
What to Expect During Construction
- Environmental Services and the contractor are coordinating work with Portland Public Schools and Stephenson Elementary.
- Typical work hours will be 7:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. Monday through Friday. The contractor can also choose to work on Saturdays if necessary.
- Traffic restrictions will be in place, but local residents will have access to their property. You may experience delays.
- There will be work in front of and adjacent to driveways. The contractor will work with residents to maintain access.
- On-street parking in or near the work area will be prohibited during work hours.
- Equipment and materials will be stored on nearby streets overnight.
- A city construction inspector will be on-site during work hours, and may be able to assist you with construction concerns. Inspectors typically wear a green City of Portland safety vest and hard hat.
Let us know if you have concerns such as business operations, disability issues or medical deliveries.