Construction is Underway
Environmental Services has started work on a stormwater management project on SW Stephenson Street between SW 35th Avenue and Boones Ferry Road and SW Hamilton Street between SW 40th and 47th avenues (see map below). This project will help protect water quality in Fanno and Tryon creeks. Construction is expected to continue for several months at both locations. The entire project is scheduled for completion in the spring of 2016.
Ditches on SW Stephenson carry stormwater runoff from the street directly to Tryon Creek and its tributaries. The fast-moving water causes erosion and carries pollutants washed off streets.
This project will plant swales with a combination of grasses and low-growing plants. The vegetation will help protect the channel from erosion and may help reduce stormwater pollutants. As part of the project, the Portland Bureau of Transportation will add four-foot wide, paved shoulders.
The Fanno-Tryon Watershed Management Plan identified these improvements as a way to improve drainage and pedestrian safety and protect water quality. Over one-third of the roads in the watershed are paved and have no curbs. Ditches border most of them.
Work crews will install plants in and around the new swales during the next planting season.
What to Expect During Construction
- Environmental Services and the contractor are coordinating work with Portland Public Schools and Stephenson Elementary.
- Typical work hours will be 7:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. Monday through Friday. The contractor can also choose to work on Saturdays if necessary.
- Traffic restrictions will be in place, but local residents will have access to their property. You may experience delays.
- Each location will take a couple of weeks to complete.
- There will be work in front of and adjacent to driveways. The contractor will work with residents to maintain access.
- On-street parking in or near the work area will be prohibited during work hours.
- Equipment and materials will be stored on nearby streets overnight.
- A city construction inspector will be on-site during work hours, and may be able to assist you with construction concerns. Inspectors typically wear a green City of Portland safety vest and hard hat.
Let us know if you have concerns such as business operations, disability issues or medical deliveries.