Environmental Services will construct improvements to about 920 feet of ditches along SW Hamilton Street between SW 45th and SW 47th avenues. Work will begin in summer 2015.
Ditches on SW Hamilton carry stormwater runoff from the street directly to Fanno Creek and its tributaries. The fast-moving water causes erosion and carries pollutants washed off streets.
This project will plant swales with a combination of grasses and low-growing plants. The vegetation will help protect the channel from erosion and may help reduce stormwater pollutants. As part of the project, the Portland Bureau of Transportation will add four-foot wide, paved shoulders.
The Fanno-Tryon Watershed Management Plan identified these improvements as a way to improve drainage and pedestrian safety and protect water quality. Over one-third of the roads in the watershed are paved and have no curbs. Ditches border most of them.
After construction is complete, work crews will install plants in and around the new swales during the next planting season.
Construction schedule and traffic controls
Construction is tentatively scheduled at the Hamilton location in November, following the Stephenson portion of this project.. There will be some lane closures, with flaggers directing traffic when necessary. The contractor will maintain access to homes and neighborhood streets. We will continue to be in touch as we get closer to construction.
What to Expect During Construction
- Typical work hours will be 7:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. Monday through Friday. The contractor can also choose to work on Saturdays if necessary.
- Traffic restrictions will be in place, but local residents will have access to their property. You may experience delays.
- There will be work in front of and adjacent to driveways. Our contractor will work with you to maintain access.
- On-street parking in or near the work area will be prohibited during work hours.
- Equipment and materials will be stored on nearby streets overnight.
- A city construction inspector will be on-site during work hours, and may be able to assist you with construction concerns. Inspectors typically wear a green City of Portland safety vest and hard hat.
- Let us know if you have concerns such as business operations, disability issues or medical deliveries.
For More Information
The City of Portland complies with all non-discrimination laws including Title VI (Civil Rights) and Title II (ADA). To request a translation, accommodation or additional information, please call 503-823-7740, or use City TTY 503-823-6868, or Oregon Relay Service: 711