August 21, 2014
Environmental Services is replacing 10,030 feet of public sewer pipes that are between 92 and 104 years old and in poor condition. The project will also construct 62 manholes, 38 storm drains, 955 feet of storm drain pipe, and 3,870 feet of service laterals to connect houses and businesses to the rebuilt public sewer. The replacement and repair of aging and failing pipes and other infrastructure will help protect the public and the environment by reducing the possibility of costly breaks, leaks, blockages and sewage releases to homes, businesses and streets.
Developments of Note
- Final trench paving on streets near Alameda Elementary School is scheduled for this week and next week, including paving on NE Fremont Street between NE 25th and 30th avenues.
- Traffic will continue to be delayed on NE Fremont Street as needed, from 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Monday through Friday.
- TriMet Bus #24 will maintain regular service, but riders may experience increased travel times.
- Remaining sewer work on Fremont includes manhole construction and some pipe work at the intersections of NE Fremont at 24th Avenue and NE Fremont at 31st Avenue. This work will require flaggers to direct traffic around the work zone creating traffic delays.
Below is the estimated Vernon-Sabin-Alameda sewer construction schedule for the next two weeks. Please be aware that this schedule is subject to change due to a variety of factors, including conditions underground, weather, traffic impacts, subcontractor schedules and availability of materials. You will be notified a few days in advance of construction on your street.
Week of August 25
- NE Fremont Street (25th to 30th) – removal of temporary asphalt and final trench paving
- NE Regents Drive (Ridgewood Drive to Edgehill Place) – open trench construction to place main public sewer pipe and manhole construction
Week of September 1
- NE Regents Drive (Ridgewood Drive to Edgehill Place) – open trench construction to place main public sewer pipe, manhole construction, and installation of branches that will connect houses to the main public sewer pipe
- NE Regents Drive (Edgehill Place to 29th) – open trench construction to place main public sewer pipe and manhole construction
What to Expect During Construction
- Construction creates noise, vibration and dust and disrupts normal neighborhood activity.
- Typical work hours are 7:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. Monday through Friday, but the contractor may schedule work during the same hours on Saturdays.
- Please stay clear of all construction activities. Please keep your children from harm and instruct them to stay clear of all construction activities. We also appreciate your keeping pets and vehicles out of the construction areas.
- Traffic control signs are in place. The contractor maintains local access, but you should expect delays. In some cases, construction activities may impact normal use of your driveway.
- On-street parking in or near the work area may be limited. Please observe no parking signs.
- Equipment and materials may be stored on nearby streets overnight.
- There may be periods of inactivity between construction phases.
- A city inspector is on-site during work hours and may be able to assist you with construction concerns. Inspectors typically wear a safety vest and hard hat.
For More Information
Thank you for your cooperation during this project. Please let us know if you have concerns such as business operations, disability issues or medical or business deliveries. As always, we’ll strive to provide quick response to your concerns, minimal disruption of your residence or commercial business, and open and honest communication with you throughout the project.