Construction is Ongoing
Environmental Services began construction in late September on a project to replace a manhole and sewer pipe on SE 42nd Avenue between SE Powell Boulevard and Rhone Street (see map below). Final paving and restoration is expected to begin on November 26, with final construction activities to be completed by early December.
The 24 inch diameter combined sewer pipe conveys sewage and, in rainy weather, stormwater. The construction zone will take up nearly the width of the road. Construction crews will excavate a nearly 30-foot deep trench to replace the manhole and sewer pipe.
SE 42nd Avenue will be closed to through traffic from SE Powell Boulevard to SE Francis Street, around the clock, during construction. The contractor will maintain local access for residents in the construction zone, but you should expect delays. Through traffic should follow the signed detour route.
Cyclists traveling on SE 42nd Avenue are being re-routed to the sidewalk between SE Powell Boulevard and Francis Street during construction. Please follow the signed detour route.
What to Expect During Construction
- Traffic congestion in the area will increase and you may experience delays getting to your destination.
- Construction hours will be 7:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. Monday through Friday. The contractor may schedule work during the same hours on Saturdays.
- Construction will create noise, vibration, and dust and will disrupt normal neighborhood activity.
- Equipment and material will be secured and left on the street after work hours.
- There may be periods of inactivity between construction phases.
- A city construction inspector will be on-site during work hours. If you have an immediate need during construction, the on-site inspector may be able to assist you.
If you have questions or would like more information, please contact Becky Tillson at 503-823-2827. If you would like to be on an email list for periodic email updates, please email Becky with "SE 42nd Ave Manhole Repair Project" in the subject line.
Thank you for your patience and cooperation during this important sewer repair project.