August 21, 2014
As part of the City of Portland’s effort to provide properties with sewer connections that comply with city code, Environmental Services has begun construction on the Inner NE Sewer Extension project. This project will also help protect public health, property, and the environment by increasing the capacity of the public sewer system, reducing the potential for basement backups, and reducing the likelihood of emergency maintenance work in the future.
Developments of Note
On and off through mid-September, from 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. Monday through Friday, motorists and cyclists should expect delays on NE Prescott Street between NE 6th and 10th avenues. Crews will be installing new main public sewer pipe and constructing several manholes in phases. Some phases will require flaggers to direct traffic around the work zone.
Below is the estimated Inner NE Sewer Extension construction schedule for the next two weeks. As the contractor completes construction on each street, work crews apply a temporary asphalt patch. They will return at a later date to apply permanent paving.
Week of August 25
- NE 7th Avenue (Prescott to Going) – main public sewer pipe, manhole, and lateral branch construction
- NE 8th Avenue (Prescott to Going) – main public sewer pipe, manhole, and lateral branch construction
Week of September 1
- NE 6th Avenue (Prescott to Going) – trench preparation and paving
- NE 7th Avenue (Prescott to Going) – trench preparation and paving
- NE 8th Avenue (Prescott to Going) – lateral branch construction, trench preparation and paving
Please be aware that this schedule is subject to change due to a variety of factors, including conditions underground, weather, traffic impacts, subcontractor schedules and availability of materials.
What to Expect During Construction
- Construction creates noise, vibration and dust and disrupts normal neighborhood activity.
- Typical work hours are 7:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. Monday through Friday, but the contractor may schedule work during the same hours on Saturdays.
- Please stay clear of all construction activities and keep children, pets and vehicles out of construction areas.
- Traffic control signs are in place. The contractor maintains local access, but you should expect delays.
- On-street parking in or near the work area may be limited. Please observe no parking signs.
- Equipment and materials may be stored on nearby streets overnight.
- There may be periods of inactivity between construction phases.
- A city inspector is on-site during work hours and may be able to assist you with construction concerns. Inspectors typically wear a safety vest with “City of Portland” on the back and hard hat.
For More Information
Thank you for your cooperation during this important sewer extension project. Please let us know if you have any questions or concerns, including medical or other delivery needs, access, etc; we will be happy to work with you.