Environmental Services has constructed a green street planter at the corner of NE Cleveland and N Shaver (see map). The green street planter will remove about 132,000 gallons of stormwater from the sewer system every year.
Your New Green Street
Green streets are planters that collect stormwater runoff from streets and allow water to soak into the ground as soil and plants filter pollutants. Green streets keep stormwater out of the sewer system, replenish groundwater supplies and add green space to neighborhoods. Environmental Services builds green streets throughout the city.
Taking Care of Green Streets
Green streets are part of Portland’s sewer and stormwater system, and are designed to manage stormwater with minimal maintenance. The city is responsible for maintenance, and also welcomes help from neighbors. If you would like to become a Green Street Steward and adopt a green street, please visit portlandoregon.gov/bes/GreenStreetStewards.
As a Green Street Steward, you can help keep green streets working well and looking good between city maintenance visits. You can remove trash, leaf litter and debris from the curb openings so stormwater can enter the green street, and water green street plants moderately during extended dry periods.
How to be a Good Green Street Neighbor
- DO limit or eliminate use of fertilizers and pesticides in your yard. Garden chemicals washed away by stormwater can pollute ground and surface water.
- DO call 503-823-2940 if green street plants need to be pruned, trimmed or replaced.
- DO remove trash or plant debris from the inlet and outlet (openings where water enters and exits the facility).
- DO let us know if there seems to be a problem with the green street. See the list of contact numbers below.
- DO NOT dump grass clippings or yard debris in a green street.
- DO NOT use green streets for storage or parking.
- DO NOT allow children or dogs to play in green streets. Even little feet can damage plants and compact soil. Dog feces carry bacteria that can be a health hazard to everyone.
- DO NOT move or remove rocks in the green streets. The rocks are there for erosion control.
Where to Report Problems
- Facility damage or vandalism: 503-823-1424* or email@example.com
- Plants and trees damaged or need trimming for safety: 503-823-2940
- Standing water over 48 hours: 503-823-1424
- Evidence of a substance spill: 503-823-7180*
(* 24 hour phone line)
For More Information
With questions or for more information about this project, please contact Becky Tillson at 503-823-2827 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Visit www.portlandoregon.gov/ sustainablestormwater for more information on green streets and sustainable stormwater management in Portland.