Environmental Services is designing a project to install a stormwater infiltration system along NE Columbia Boulevard between NE 60th and NE 63rd avenues. The system will filter sediment and pollutants from stormwater runoff discharged through an outfall pipe into the Columbia Slough. The project will help restore fish and wildlife habitat, improve water quality and protect public health. The work includes replacing 160 feet of public sewer pipe. Construction is anticipated to begin early fall 2014 and last for two months.
Columbia Boulevard is a high-traffic-volume city roadway and major freight corridor that serves commercial and industrial land uses and a diverse residential neighborhood. You can expect traffic delays, lane closures and restricted turning movements in the construction zone for the duration of the two-month construction project. See map below.
- Permitted construction hours will be 7:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Monday through Saturday.
- Columbia Boulevard between 60th and 63rd avenues will be reduced to two lanes, one for each travel direction during permitted construction hours.
- All lanes will be open at 4:00 p.m.
- Eastbound traffic on Columbia Boulevard wishing to go north on 63rd Avenue will be detoured south onto 60th Avenue, to east on Portland Highway, to north on Cully Boulevard, to Columbia Boulevard.
- Southbound traffic on 63rd Avenue wishing to go east on Columbia Boulevard must turn right (west) onto Columbia Boulevard and follow the signed detour.
The two-way left-turn lane on Columbia Boulevard between 60th and 63rd avenues will be closed, making the driveways between 60th and 63rd accessible only from the open travel lane nearest to the driveways. Traffic will not be able to sit in the two-way left-turn lane and cross the opposing travel lane to access driveways on the north and south sides of Columbia Boulevard between 60th and 63rd avenues.
- To access driveways on the north side of Columbia, traffic must be coming from the east proceeding westbound in the open travel lane on Columbia.
- To access driveways on the south side of Columbia, traffic must be coming from the west proceeding eastbound in the open travel lane on Columbia.
For More Information
Contact Cheryl Kuck at 503-823-7898. Before and during construction, we will be sending out periodic email updates to keep you posted on the schedule, possible traffic detours, delays, and lane restrictions. We encourage you to sign up now to receive updates by emailing Cheryl Kuck with “NE Columbia & 63rd” in the subject line.