Environmental Services is nearing construction of a project to install a stormwater filtration system along NE Columbia Boulevard between NE 60th and NE 63rd avenues. A vault installed in Columbia Boulevard at 63rd Avenue that will filter sediment and pollutants from stormwater runoff discharged through an outfall pipe into the Columbia Slough. The work also includes replacing 175 feet of public sewer pipe in Columbia west of 63rd. The project will improve water quality, protect public health, and help restore fish and wildlife habitat. Construction is anticipated to begin in fall 2015 and last for two months.
Through public involvement and engineering conversations over the past year, Environmental Services developed a two-phase schedule to reduce construction impacts on businesses with large trucks and buses that access driveways on Columbia Boulevard at 63rd Avenue.
The first phase will occur in a short segment on Columbia Boulevard about 175 feet west of 63rd. Construction hours will be 7:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Monday through Friday for one week.
The second phase will include the remaining work on Columbia Boulevard between the first phase location and 63rd followed by final street paving. Construction hours will be 7:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. Saturdays and Sundays for up to five consecutive weekends.
Columbia Boulevard is a high traffic volume street and major freight corridor that serves commercial and industrial areas and a diverse residential neighborhood. You can expect traffic delays, lane closures and restricted turning movements in the construction zone for the duration of the two-month construction project.
- Permitted construction hours will be 7:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Monday through Friday and 7:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. Saturday and Sunday.
- Columbia Boulevard between 60th and 63rd avenues will be reduced to two lanes, one for each travel direction during permitted construction hours.
- All lanes will re-open at 4:00 p.m. Monday through Friday, and at 6:00 p.m. Saturday and Sunday.
- Eastbound traffic on Columbia Boulevard wishing to go north on 63rd Avenue will be detoured south onto 60th Avenue, to east on Portland Highway, to north on Cully Boulevard, to Columbia Boulevard.
- Southbound traffic on 63rd Avenue wishing to go east on Columbia Boulevard must turn right (west) onto Columbia Boulevard and follow the signed detour.
- The two-way left-turn lane on Columbia Boulevard between 60th and 63rd avenues will be closed in the construction zone, making those driveways accessible only from the open travel lane nearest to the driveways.
- Flaggers will assist trucks and buses through the construction zone and help them make turning movements off and onto Columbia at 60th and 63rd avenues.
The Portland Noise Office granted Environmental Services a noise variance for Sunday construction on this project. Portland noise code allows construction from 7:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. Monday through Saturday. Work after 6:00 p.m. and before 7:00 a.m. and all hours on Sundays requires a noise variance from the Portland Noise Office. The contractor may use a backhoe, concrete saw, jackhammer, compressor, pickup truck, haul truck, paving equipment and delivery vehicle for this project.
For More Information
Contact Joe Annett at 503-823-2934. During construction, we will be sending out periodic email updates to keep you posted on the schedule, possible traffic detours, delays and lane restrictions. We encourage you to sign up now to receive updates by emailing Joe Annett with “columbia63rd” in the subject line.