Environmental Services is replacing and upsizing about 270 feet of public sewer pipes on SE Division Place between SE 6th and SE 7th avenues that are between 95 and 106 years old. This project will increase sewer capacity and reduce the risks of sewage releases to homes and streets.
The work includes replacing storm drains, a manhole and service laterals from the curb to the public sewer in the street.
Construction Methods and Traffic Control
The contractor is using open cut trench excavation to complete the entire project. Go to www.portlandoregon.gov/bes/opentrench for more information about sewer construction methods.
During daytime work hours, 7:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. Monday through Friday, SE Division Place is one way eastbound between SE 6th and 7th avenues throughout the project. Flaggers aid semi trucks to navigate the work area for deliveries, but all other westbound traffic detours to SE Division.
Construction began in early summer 2015 and will take about six months to complete
What to Expect During Construction
- Work hours are 7:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. Monday through Friday. The contractor may also work on Saturdays if necessary.
- Bypass pumps will run all days and all hours throughout the entire project.
- Sewer construction is loud, can cause vibration and dust, and disrupts neighborhood activity.
- Roads will be closed to through traffic, but local residents and businesses will have access from one direction. You may experience delays.
- On-street parking in or near the work area is prohibited during work hours.
- Equipment and materials are stored on nearby streets and in a staging area overnight.
- A city construction inspector is on-site during work hours and may be able to assist you with construction concerns. Inspectors typically wear a green City of Portland safety vest and hard hat.
Let us know if you have concerns such as business operations, disability issues or medical deliveries.