Environmental Services is designing a sewer replacement project on NW Raleigh and NW Quimby streets between NW 21st and 22nd avenues. The project will add needed capacity to the combined sewer system, help reduce the potential for basement backups, and protect water quality and the environment.
This project will replace and upsize the public sewer main in the street and repair the laterals that connect properties to the sewer. Crews will also replace stormwater inlets and inlet pipes that connect to the combined sewer system.
You may have seen crews in the area locating and moving existing utility lines and drawing markings on the streets. This will ensure that the contractor can complete the project without interruption of other utilities and services. Survey crews will be on site again before construction begins.
Construction is expected to begin in early 2015. The project will take three to four months to complete. We will continue to be in touch as the project evolves.
Construction will impact traffic and there will likely be some detours around the work area. The city will design a traffic control plan that minimizes impacts to the neighborhood and ensures a safe work zone for construction crews and the public. On-street parking with and near the work zone will also be limited.
What to Expect During Construction
- Construction may create noise, vibration and dust, and may disrupt normal neighborhood activity.
- Typical construction hours are 7:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. Monday through Friday, but the contractor may schedule work during the same hours on Saturdays if necessary.
- Equipment and materials may be stored in or near the work area overnight.
- Traffic congestion in the area may increase and you may experience delays adjacent to the work area. You will have access to properties in and near the work zone during work hours, but you may be delayed entering or leaving your street or driveway.
- On-street parking in or near the equipment storage area and work areas may be prohibited during work hours.
- You may see barricades and orange signs reading “ROAD CLOSED to Thru Traffic – Local Access Only.” These signs are intended to reduce overall traffic going through the area while construction is underway but anyone who lives in or needs to conduct business within the construction zone will be allowed access.
- Work crews will restore sidewalks, driveway aprons, planting strips and other areas disturbed by construction.
- You will receive a door-hanger notice a few days before work starts on your street. Outreach staff will provide periodic updates via mail and email (click here to sign up for email updates) that will include the project schedule.
- Safety is our top priority for every construction site. You can help keep the area safe by staying clear of all construction activities and keeping children, pets and vehicles out of construction areas.
- A city inspector will be on-site during work hours and may be able to assist you with construction concerns. Inspectors typically wear a hard hat and safety vest.
- Please be aware that the construction schedule is subject to change due to a variety of factors, including conditions underground, weather, traffic impacts, subcontractor schedules and availability of materials.
For More Information
With questions, comments or for more information, contact Becky Tillson at 503-823-2827 or Becky.Tillson@portlandoregon.gov. To be added to an email update list, email Becky with "NW Raleigh/Quimby" in the subject line.
Thank you for your cooperation during this important project. Please let us know if you have questions or concerns, such as business operations, medical issues or deliveries; we will be happy to work with you.