Environmental Services has begun construction on a sewer replacement project at NW Raleigh and NW Quimby streets between NW 21st and 22nd avenues. The project will add needed capacity to the combined sewer and stormwater system, help reduce the potential for basement backups, and protect water quality and the environment. Construction is expected to tale approximately four months to complete.
The project will replace and upsize the public sewer main in the street, repair connections between the sewer main and the curb line of businesses and residents, install several sewer access structures, replace stormwater inlets and pipes that connect them to the sewer system, and restore the road surface.
Construction began in late March and will take about four months to complete. For the first phase, crews began excavation on NW Raleigh. Work has now progressed to NW Quimby between NW 21st and NW 22nd. Then, new inlets will be constructed to collect stormwater. There will be some NW Quimby/Raleigh overlap while work crews finish inlet construction and paving. The city’s contractor is using open trench excavation. You can find more information about sewer construction techniques at www.portlandoregon.gov/bes/methods.
Construction will impact traffic and there will likely be some detours around the work area. Please follow directions from signage and flaggers to help ensure a safe work zone. On-street parking within and near the work zone will also be limited.
What to Expect During Construction
- Sewer construction by nature is loud, vibration is felt in homes and businesses, work zones can become dusty, and normal neighborhood activity is disrupted.
- Typical construction hours are 7:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. Monday through Friday, but the contractor may schedule work during the same hours on Saturdays if necessary.
- Equipment and materials may be stored in or near the work area overnight.
- Traffic congestion in the area may increase and you may experience delays adjacent to the work area. You will have access to properties in and near the work zone during work hours, but you may be delayed entering or leaving your street or driveway.
- On-street parking in or near the equipment storage area and work areas may be prohibited during work hours.
- You may see barricades and orange signs reading “ROAD CLOSED to Thru Traffic – Local Access Only.” These signs are intended to reduce overall traffic going through the area while construction is underway but anyone who lives in or needs to conduct business within the construction zone will be allowed access.
- Bicycles will detour on NW Raleigh or NW Pettygrove during work on NW Quimby.
- Work crews will restore sidewalks, driveway aprons, planting strips and other areas disturbed by construction.
- Safety is our top priority for every construction site. You can help keep the area safe by staying clear of all construction activities and keeping children, pets and vehicles out of construction areas.
- A city inspector will be on-site during work hours and may be able to assist you with construction concerns. Inspectors typically wear a hard hat and safety vest.
- Please be aware that the construction schedule is subject to change due to a variety of factors, including conditions underground, weather, traffic impacts, subcontractor schedules and availability of materials.
For More Information
With questions, comments or for more information, contact Ashley Tjaden at 503-823-5281 or Ashley.Tjaden@portlandoregon.gov. To be added to an email update list, email Ashley with "RaleighQuimby" in the subject line.
Thank you for your cooperation during this important project. Please let us know if you have questions or concerns, such as business operations, medical issues or deliveries; we will be happy to work with you.