1120 SW 5th Avenue, Room 1250, Portland, OR 97204
Section 3 Program
Section 3 is a provision of the Housing and Urban Development (HUD) Act of 1968. Section 3 requires recipients of certain HUD financial assistance to direct employment and contracting opportunities to low and very-low income persons and businesses residing in the community, where the project is located, to the greatest extent feasible.
Section 3 policies apply to Portland Housing Bureau (PHB) projects and situations as indicated below:
- All construction projects for which the amount of HUD sourced assistance exceeds $200,000; and
- All contractor/subcontractor situations where the contract or subcontract exceeds $100,000 with HUD sourced funds.
Who are Section 3 Residents?
- Residents of Public and Indian Housing; or
- Persons who live in the Portland metropolitan area or nonmetropolitan county and who earn 80% or less of the area median family income, based on household size.
What is a Section 3 Business Concern? A business that:
- Is 51% owned by Section 3 Residents; or
- Employs Section 3 Residents, for at least 30% of its full-time, permanent staff; or
- Provides evidence of commitment to subcontract 25% or more of the dollar amount of the awarded contract to Section 3 Businesses.
Questions? Contact Cathleen Massier at 503-823-6888.