Risk Management, Portland, OR
Policy No: RMLP 20
Prepared by: Loss Prevention Team
The City of Portland is self-insured for Workers’ Compensation coverage. The Office of Management and Finance (OMF) Risk Management (City Risk) manages the self-insurance program and fund. The City maintains loss control services under Oregon statute and rule. The City complies with Oregon standards related to self-insured rules.
The purpose of this policy is to provide information about the City’s self-insured program and loss control services.
The City of Portland takes measures to comply with rules related to self-insured entities. This is done through conducting self-insured reviews and providing loss control services.
The Self-Insured program applies City-wide. This policy describes program elements, tasks, and how to access program services.
Authority is provided under:
- City Code 3.54.020, F: Office of Management and Finance, Bureau of Internal Business Services, Risk Management Division
- Oregon Administrative Rules, Chapter 437, Division 1, Rules for the Administration of Loss Prevention Activities by Insurers/Self-Insured Employers – General Requirements 437-001-1005 through 437-001-1020.
In compliance with:
- Division 1, Oregon Administrative Rules, Self-Insured and Group Self-Insured Employer Loss Prevention Program, OAR 437-001-1050 through 437-001-1060.
- Respond within the required time for the hazard present and provide Loss Prevention assistance when requested by Bureau’s or City workplaces
- Support and assist Bureau’s and workplace locations to establish and implement a written Occupational Health & Safety Loss Prevention Program
- Support and assist Bureau’s and workplace locations in developing and implementing Loss Prevention Effort, including performing evaluations and audits
- Request Loss Prevention Assistance from City Risk for Loss Prevention services and services for hazards as needed
- Inform managers and workplace locations of the availability and process for requesting Loss Prevention Assistance
- Establish and implement a written Occupational Health & Safety Loss Prevention program
- Enforce all requirements of the written Loss Prevention program for both management and hourly personnel
- Implement a Loss Prevention Effort for each of its locations that identifies and controls all reasonably discoverable occupational safety and health hazards not in compliance with OR-OSHA Safety & Health Regulations
- Be accountable to follow all requirements of the written Loss Prevention program
- Be involved in health and safety elements of the loss prevention efforts
- Report all hazardous conditions and/or safety concerns immediately to their supervisor
Related City programs and policies include the following:
- Industrial Hygiene Program
- Hearing Conservation Program
- Ergonomics Program
- Bloodborne Pathogens Program