Building an Accessory Dwelling Unit on Your Property in Portland, Oregon
register here for the class on Saturday, December 8, 2012 (9am-5pm).
Now offering Oregon Real Estate Agency: 7 CEUs
(Topic: Real estate property evaluation, appraisal, or valuation)
Contact me through my Google profile page or email me directly at kolpeterson at yahoo dot com if you have questions about the classClass Description
Think of this class as an on-ramp to the process of designing and building an ADU. This class will open your eyes to the spectrum of content that you'll execute and manage in the course of designing and building and ADU. It is intended to make the whole process and project better by helping you understand the ADU design, management, and building process.
By the end of the class, you will better understand the design/permit/build process, which will save you significant time and money, and will result in a better product--an ADU that will work well for your particular situation.
In the process of designing and building my ADU, I have become passionate about ADUs generally. I am not a general contractor nor an architect trying to pitch my services to you. I am a homeowner and environmental professional with a passion for ADUs and a lot of practical information to share about them.
You’ll Walk Away from the Class Understanding…
- The design, permitting, and building process
- Relevant green building concepts, approaches, and certifications
- Financing, rebates, incentives, cost-saving design/build measures, contracts
- Resources, references and contacts to help you design and build your ADU (including ADU regulations, local building material sourcing recommendations, a budget sample, contract types and more)
- The class will be limited to 13 registrants.
- The course cost is $95.
- The class will be hosted in my ADU (4227 NE 10thAve, Portland, OR, 97211).
- The course will be from 9am to 5pm with a short lunch break. The class is going to be a fast-paced course that will cover lots of material. Be prepared with questions and be ready to take notes. I will have some handouts.
- We'll visit a couple other ADU projects that are currently being built.
- Oregon Real Estate Agency: 7 CEUs (Topic: Real estate property evaluation, appraisal, or valuation).
- Built a new construction ADU in NE Portland which was featured in Portland's Build It Green Tour. See media links.
- Master in Design and the Environment from the Harvard Graduate School of Design
- Seven years working at the US Environmental Protection agency
- Sustainable Home Professional certification from the Earth Advantage Institute
- Extensive teaching and presentation experience for a range of audiences